Sling Media says it didn't change iPhone SlingPlayer to appease AT&T

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Sling Media clarified reports that its SlingPlayer iPhone application was modified in collaboration with AT&T to be "more bandwidth sensitive" and less taxing on the carrier's 3G network.

On Thursday, AT&T sent out a press release touting the forthcoming release of SlingPlayer Mobile on the iPhone, now with the ability to stream recorded video over the wireless provider's nationwide 3G network. The company's statement said Sling Media and AT&T worked collaborated ensure the "optimized app" could run on its 3G network.

The misunderstanding comes from statements attributed in the press release to Ralph de la Vega, president and CEO of AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets. He said AT&T and Sling Media worked together to create a "more bandwidth sensitive," revised version of the software. The statement has since been corrected.

Sling Media's John Santoro told ArsTechnica that nothing was changed in the application, and AT&T did nothing in collaboration with Sling Media to modify or improve the software.

"We didn't change anything," Santoro reportedly said. "AT&T never discussed any specific requirements with us."

SlingPlayer Mobile has always contained code to adapt bandwidth use and quality of streaming video given the current network conditions. While AT&T and Sling Media talked when the application was released last year with support for Wi-Fi only, the wireless provider never asked them to make changes to the application. In addition, the newly approved 3G-capable version is allegedly no different from the software first rejected by AT&T.

Reached for comment Friday by AppleInsider, an AT&T spokesperson gave the following statement:

"There are technical things a developer can do to ensure an app uses 3G network bandwidth efficiently. Since December 2009, we've been testing the SlingPlayer Mobile app and have now notified Sling Media and Apple that the optimized app can run on our 3G mobile broadband network."

In addition, as of Friday, the official press release on AT&T's Web site does not include the initial quote ArsTechnica attributed to de la Vega. Instead, it correctly notes that Sling Media "originally developed its wireless app to make efficient use of 3G network bandwidth."

The $30 SlingPlayer Mobile application was initially not allowed 3G access because AT&T thought it would use too much bandwidth and could "prevent other customers from using the network." Now, AT&T has said it intends to work with other developers to ensure that their applications can be safely used on its network without any negative effects from heavy bandwidth usage.

To stream video recorded from home, users must own the Slingbox hardware, which can be purchased direct from Sling Media at $179.99 for the Slingbox Solo, or $299.99 for the Slingbox Pro-HD. Slightly lower prices are available from Amazon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Busted!
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Ok Sling, you win the pissing contest - now where the heck is the update?!?!?!
  • Reply 3 of 17
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Does anyone know the bitrate used for Sling to the iPhone? I assume the codec is H.264.

For reference, QuickTIme X exports to iPhone (WiFI) at 1Mbps maximum rate and iPhone (Cellular) at 80kbps maximum rate.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Liars! Liars!

At least they should have gotten their story straight before talking to the public.

AT&T is losing customers, just like health insurance and other costs people determine they can do without in order to keep paying on their under water mortgages.

Where I live, I never seen so many entire families living together in the same house for a long long time.

So AT&T is trying to keep sweetening the deal here and there are they can to keep the fat cat's paying $150 a month for their iPhones.

It's because so many others have dropped out due to the economy that it's freeing up bandwidth for the fat cats who use Slingplayer.

Also why AT&T has lowered their prices recently as well.

Good!
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Liars! Liars!

At least they should have gotten their story straight before talking to the public.

AT&T is losing customers, just like health insurance and other costs people determine they can do without in order to keep paying on their under water mortgages.

Where I live, I never seen so many entire families living together in the same house for a long long time.

So AT&T is trying to keep sweetening the deal here and there are they can to keep the fat cat's paying $150 a month for their iPhones.

It's because so many others have dropped out due to the economy that it's freeing up bandwidth for the fat cats who use Slingplayer.

Good!

$180 for a SlingPlayer (a bit cheaper than that on Amazon) and $30 for the app makes one a "fat cat." Really? If you follow that logic anyone who's ever owned a Mac must be a fat cat because of how much they cost.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

$180 for a SlingPlayer (a bit cheaper than that on Amazon) and $30 for the app makes one a "fat cat." Really? If you follow that logic anyone who's ever owned a Mac must be a fat cat because of how much they cost.

I don't know about anyone else but I don't pay close to $150 month for my iPhone. I didn't even pay that when I had two iPhones.

And what's this nonsense he's spewing about AT&T losing customers? I think Sprint is the only carrier losing subscribers.

Quote:

January 28th, 2010 ? AT&T, which is the exclusive carrier of Apple?s popular iPhone, said it added 2.7 million subscribers last quarter -- its second-highest in its history. The subscriber growth also solidly beat analysts? forecasts for 1.8 million new subscribers. For the year, AT&T added 7.3 million new subscribers, its best-ever annual total, giving it 85.1 million subscribers.

(source)

• Reply 7 of 17
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't know about anyone else but I don't pay close to $150 month for my iPhone. I didn't even pay that when I had two iPhones.

And what's this nonsense he's spewing about AT&T losing customers? I think Sprint is the only carrier losing subscribers.

I think he's assuming family plans don't exist... therefore you have to pay $70 for two iPhones plus some tax. But obviously, this is just nonsense, because family plans do exist.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

I think he's assuming family plans don't exist... therefore you have to pay $70 for two iPhones plus some tax. But obviously, this is just nonsense, because family plans do exist.

Even with Family plans, if you take their middle 1400 mins along with data and txt messaging your looking at 160.00 a month before taxes with two iPhone.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Even with Family plans, if you take their middle 1400 mins along with data and txt messaging your looking at 160.00 a month before taxes with two iPhone.

Yea that's it, perhaps it's because people are living together more, saving on rent and mortgages, can get their own phones.

I got my sugar fix, so I'm better now.

I just want the price to come down to earth more, like $29 a month unlimited so nearly everyone can get a iPhone.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Are you agreeing with me? I'm confused? haha

Slingbox really isn't that much since it's a 1 time cost - not much more than a good Blu-Ray player. (and less than a 16GB iPhone)
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Yea that's it, perhaps it's because people are living together more, saving on rent and mortgages, can get their own phones.

I got my sugar fix, so I'm better now.

I just want the price to come down to earth more, like $29 a month unlimited so nearly everyone can get a iPhone.

What gets under my skin the most about the iPhone is ATT charging 30.00 a month for unlimited txt messaging. Actually changing for txt messaging with any carrier these days in a rip off because it cost them next to nothing to allow messaging.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

What gets under my skin the most about the iPhone is ATT charging 30.00 a month for unlimited txt messaging. Actually changing for txt messaging with any carrier these days in a rip off because it cost them next to nothing to allow messaging.

I don't know what deal you are getting, but I don't pay 30 bucks for unlimited text. Try 10 dollars less.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    What about Orb?

Orb said they drop 3G streaming from the new version because Apple said so.

Piece of shit... not Orb.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

They are all the same these days, all about money. Squeeze as much money as they can from their customers. They used to charge money for detail billing (some still do), caller ID, voice mail, call waiting, 3 way conference and many more. We pay them to hire and train a monkey to flip a switch to enable the features. And of course, the big exec gets huge bonus check regardless they make money or not. Total rip off.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I don't know what deal you are getting, but I don't pay 30 bucks for unlimited text. Try 10 dollars less.

Unlimited Family plan is 30.00 a month. We were talking about ATT family plans.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:

No, you're looking at $179.99 a month before taxes. Now as for 1,400 minutes, after you factor in unlimited nights and weekends, unlimited mobile to mobile, rollover and that text messaging that often replaces a phone call, the average family shouldn't need so much. Dare I say the 700 minutes should do fine. 700 minutes, that's when you're looking at $159.99/month. Heck, there's argument for the 550 minute plan being just fine, but of course AT&T limits that one plan to 3 lines instead of 5. Not exactly family friendly.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Liars! Liars!

AT&T is losing customers,

No, they are not. You are wrong.

Quote:

just like health insurance and other costs people determine they can do without in order to keep paying on their under water mortgages.

Prove that.

Quote:

A ridiculous anecdote with no relevance to this discussion.

Quote:

They're not sweetening anything. They are just trying to look like they are actually doing something--working with partners. Also..who the hell pays $150 a month for an iPhone? A totally unlimited data and voice plan with unlimited text should be about $120 a month or less. My bill is $85.00 with 200 texts, unlimited data and 450 minutes. More than I need.

Quote:

Totally unsupported. In fact, you're utterly and completely wrong. They gained 2.7 million subscribers in the 4th quarter of 09...alone.

Quote:

Good!

No, they did so because that what Verizon was going to do.

Maybe you should ask your mom before you post anything else.