"I am gonna kill myself"

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well. I am not really killing myself....don't worry

This is the name of my next personal project I am planning to do. Got the idea about few days ago

It's a comedy type animation short. It's about 3 minutes to 4 minutes long. The story is about a guy who got fired from his job. Creditors took away his house. His wife left him for another man. All this 'tragics' happen in the same day. He can't stand. He feels that this is the end of world and decides to suicide. But keeps failing due to the circumstances around him and his internal fear. At the end when he decides to give up somethings happen........

This short will have NO dialogues. Only character interactions and some background music

Yeah...the story sounds kind of stupid but the things that are happening to him when he wants to kill himself are very hilarious, I think.

Currently still thinking about the charcters' looks. Haven't got the exact image yet but the characters are going to look very cartoonish. The main guy looks like a real dumb a$$.

Because of the cartoonish character I think I should finally be able to create them in 3D.

Once I have more info and the character blueprints ready I will let you guys know

[ 02-16-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I dunno if you want the guy to look like a real dumb ass. It might work better if he looks like a neurotic loser, but not a slob. Thin and geeky, glasses, frayed unkempt hair, big nervous eyes, meek, but intelligent. Everything hurts more when you're smart.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Leonis,

Have you ever tried out Toon Boom Studio? I would think that with your skill and interest in animation that you would be able to produce some very cool shorts with that. That program makes me wish I had artistic talent
  • Reply 3 of 9
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I downloaded the demo. But haven't really had a chance to play with it....

BUT SOON
  • Reply 4 of 9
    [quote]It might work better if he looks like a neurotic loser, but not a slob. Thin and geeky, glasses, frayed unkempt hair, big nervous eyes, meek, but intelligent. Everything hurts more when you're smart.<hr></blockquote>Yeah! I'd love for you to make a cartoon about me!
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Watch REquiem for a Dream a few dozen times and try to immitate it.

'course then it wouldnt be a comedy
  • Reply 6 of 9
    ybotybot Posts: 329member
    [quote]Originally posted by The Toolboi:

<strong>Watch REquiem for a Dream a few dozen times and try to immitate it.

'course then it wouldnt be a comedy </strong><hr></blockquote>

That's such a good movie! I always feel ill watching it, but that's just because it's SO good!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Leonis,

You might want to change the working title of your idea. It doesn't have the snappiness of a tragic comedy. Write it and then see what comes to you. My 2¢. Hell, you could even have a "name my short" contest or something. It would be fun .
  • Reply 8 of 9
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Well, everything is still very sketchy at this moment

I am taking Matsu's advise. The guy will be a big loser instead of a dummy

Also people from other boards recommended me to adjust the focus a little bit. They said my idea is too 'dark'
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Hey Leonis. Sounds like a great idea for these times... Check out the movie <a href="http://us.imdb.com/Title?0101700"; target="_blank">Delicatessen</a>. There is a character who trys to commit suicide in a lot of various complicated ways and always fails. A funny take on the whole thing.

This is the same director who did <a href="http://us.imdb.com/Title?0211915"; target="_blank">Amélie</a>, another great film.