How to obtain IP address for PS3 through Time Capsule as a Hub

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi All,

I am a noob. I have a PS3 and a new Time Capsule. Want to connect the PS3 via Cat5e cable to Time Capsule and register an IP through the Time Capsule.

The reason for this is that I am trying to stream wirelessly at 5Ghz from Laptop (wireless n) to TC (wireless n) and then have the Gigabit cable transfer data rapidly to the PS3 so that 1080p films can be played without stutter.

The problem is that when I hook up the PS3 to the TC via "wired connection" in the PS3 network settings, it won't gather an IP address through the TC and network connection fails.

Perhaps I am going at this all tweaked, but I have obviously missed something rather important (Like an IT degree Am not sure whether to use "patch" or "crossover" cables between TC and PS3, etc...

Can anyone help me out with a relatively clear walk through so I can understand the process?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Just use a normal ethernet cable.. NOT a crossover cable.

SOMEthing has got to be messed up in your settings. Either for the PS3, or for the TimeCapsule.

I've done exactly what you are trying... for me it was a simple "plug and play" operation. I didn't have to CHANGE any settings other than walking through the set-up menu on the PS3.

Is it safe to assume that your wireless network is already running correctly with other devices??... can you plug something ELSE (like a laptop) into the TC via ethernet and get a connection??
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Just use a normal ethernet cable.. NOT a crossover cable.

SOMEthing has got to be messed up in your settings. Either for the PS3, or for the TimeCapsule.

I've done exactly what you are trying... for me it was a simple "plug and play" operation. I didn't have to CHANGE any settings other than walking through the set-up menu on the PS3.

Is it safe to assume that your wireless network is already running correctly with other devices??... can you plug something ELSE (like a laptop) into the TC via ethernet and get a connection??

Yes, the TC is up and running on my network, and works fine. PS3 can recognize a wireless connection to my network (but this is slower - Wireless g) and obtains IP just fine. But when I connect the PS3 to the TC and select "wired connection" in my PS3 network settings.... IP address won't work and internet connection fails even if I set the IP manually.

I am stumped on this... I too thought it would be a PnP situation. They work fine separately, but I want them to work together so that I can get 5ghz data rate running over the Cat5e cable to the PS3 as this is a batter data rate than wireless g.

any ideas? Thanks for the help!!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    hmm... i looked through AirPort Utility and couldn't find any setting that might cause that.

Since the TC has no problem dishing out IP's wirelessly, I would assume the problem is NOT with the TC, but with the PS3 settings.

You ought to plug your computer into the TC via ethernet (and turn off WiFi) and see if you get a connection... just to verify that the TC will dish IPs over the ethernet port.

I don't have access to my PS3 at the moment to see what it's settings options are

And you're right... WiFi G will not stream HD video smoothly ... but ethernet does once you figure this problem out!