The basics. New iPhone -Dont want to pay for data.

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I have a few questions that I think many people would like answers to all in one place. I am not looking for opinions simply the facts from people who know the answers for sure.

1. I have a new iPhone and I don't want to pay for the unlimited data plan. (I'm on a budget) What do I do? I believe I can call AT&T and tell them that I broke my iPhone and am going to use my old phone I have laying around and they will drop the data package off for me right?

2. If I cancel my data plan and I want to be able to still use AT&T for voice calls, Wifi for Internet, and Apple's Apps. Can I do this?

3. Do I need to jailbreak or unlock my phone?

4. Does Apple communicate to AT&T via iTunes so that AT&T would know the device is still in use if I sync my device?

5. If I tell AT&T that I am not using my iPhone anymore and they change the IMEI on my account, can I still use the iPhone without them knowing what phone I am using? Is there a way to change the internet settings so that it never tried to use AT&T internet?

6. Another option to all of this is to keep my iPhone the way it is, drop my home internet package and tether my computer to my 3Gs iphone. Is there anyone who has been hit with a bill from AT&T for this and if so how can this be avoided? What speeds should I expect if doing this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    AT&T can actually detect iPhone usage patterns and automatically add data services to your phone if they notice you're running without it. If you're trying to keep it as a standard phone with data accessibility through wifi you're kind of out of luck.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymous guy View Post

AT&T can actually detect iPhone usage patterns and automatically add data services to your phone if they notice you're running without it. If you're trying to keep it as a standard phone with data accessibility through wifi you're kind of out of luck.

I have found that I can use a free APN blocker.