Mail accounts will not "go online"

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited October 2014
As of yesterday, none of my mail accounts will go online. I have 2 IMAP and 1 POP3 accounts. I have tried this with both wifi and my sprint aircard, it is not a network issue, it must be something locally with mail.

I have also done a repair permissions, and zapped p-ram... still stuck on offline mode.

When I look at the Connection Doctor it just tells me to check the SSL boxes for each account.

Mail is also not connecting to any of my outgoing SMTP servers. So, it would seem as if Mail is caught in limbo.

help!

Jerm!

macbook pro 2.66

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    Do all of your accounts use the same outgoing (SMTP) server? Do you have the same issue with both sending and receiving mail? Does your web browser work?
  • Reply 2 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Do all of your accounts use the same outgoing (SMTP) server? Do you have the same issue with both sending and receiving mail? Does your web browser work?

nope, different SMTP servers.. I have no other network issues on this machine. Internet is fine. In fact the Connection Doctor in Mail says "mail was able to connect to the internet" but all of the accounts are red with connection issues. Both incoming and outgoing servers.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    Can you receive e-mail?
  • Reply 4 of 31
    Quote:

Can you receive e-mail?

No, I not receive or send on any of my accounts. (2 gmail IMAP accounts, 1 roadrunner POP3 account.)

I just tried to remove the com.apple.mail.plist file and start fresh with Mail.. no dice. I set up the new account, no connections.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    Can you browse the internet with Safari?

If so, have you tried going to dotMe and checking mail there?

.me.com
  • Reply 6 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Can you browse the internet with Safari?

If so, have you tried going to dotMe and checking mail there?

.me.com

Internet connection is fine.

They are not mobile me accounts. But, yes, I can access email directly via gmail web access.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    At this point we know it's not an SMTP problem. I'm wondering if you're having a firewall or proxy issue. Can you try this Mac at another location, on a different network?
  • Reply 8 of 31
    Quote:

At this point we know it's not an SMTP problem. I'm wondering if you're having a firewall or proxy issue. Can you try this Mac at another location, on a different network?

Have already tried 3 wifi networks, 1 straight cat 5, and my Sprint USB Aircard. All with no luck.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Damn. So do all the accounts show as "offline" in Mail? What happens if you select Mailbox/Take All Accounts Online, and then click Get Mail? Do you get any sort of message, or do the accounts just go back offline?
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Quote:

Damn. So do all the accounts show as "offline" in Mail? What happens if you select Mailbox/Take All Accounts Online, and then click Get Mail? Do you get any sort of message, or do the accounts just go back offline?

No matter what action I take, all accounts remain offline with the little lightning bolt icon next to them. Like I said above, connection doctor says servers cannot connect and to check SSL settings, all of which I am positive are set correctly. I have tried turning off ssl, no luck. The most frustrating thing is that this started happening out of the blue, no system changes of any type on my part. I even tried to re-install mail with the 10.6.2 combo updater last night. STILL no help.

I am thinking at this point maybe I should just do a fresh OS install, and migrate back with my time machine drive.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Often if Mail can't connect to a server, you'll see a popup asking you to type in your password, but I take it you're not even getting that far. It sounds almost as if your account isn't even enabled. Have you checked that setting in Preferences/Accounts/Advanced?

Personally I would not reinstall OSX. This almost never fixes anything that you could not have fixed some other way far more easily, and is a huge time consuming headache.

Another thought: Try creating a new user, and set one of your Mail accounts up in that.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Yeah,

I have gone as far as disabling all accounts, closing mail, restarting, and re-enabling all accounts. No change. This is insane. I have seen Mail do some strange things in the past, like automatically enabling rules that I have had disabled, but this makes no sense to me. It is just inexplicably broken.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    I'm suggesting that you create a new, virgin user on your Mac and recreate one of your Mail accounts while logged into that user account. This is a technique for determining if the problem is somewhere in your current user account. Shouldn't take ten minutes to give it a try.

FWIW, I've never had any major problems with Mail that I can recall, at least not recently. Not sure what that means for you though!
  • Reply 14 of 31
    ok, here is something interesting.. I installed Thunderbird to use until I can resolve this Mail thing, and strangely, I cannot get Thunderbird to make a connection to my mail accounts either. So,.. this is looking like more of a strange OSX issue than a Mail issue.

I have another Mac on 10.6.2 in the house which has no problems with email. To the best of my ability, I have checked to see that all network settings match on the 2 machines, and I have flushed the DNS cache on them via terminal. I think my head is going to explode.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jermg77 View Post

ok, here is something interesting.. I installed Thunderbird to use until I can resolve this Mail thing, and strangely, I cannot get Thunderbird to make a connection to my mail accounts either. So,.. this is looking like more of a strange OSX issue than a Mail issue.

I have another Mac on 10.6.2 in the house which has no problems with email. To the best of my ability, I have checked to see that all network settings match on the 2 machines, and I have flushed the DNS cache on them via terminal. I think my head is going to explode.

chalk that up to 3 email apps. Mail, Thunderbird and Entourage will not connect to any servers.

I have also tried making a new user account in OSX and it will not work there either.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    How odd. I'm running out of ideas, but I'd still hate to see you go through the pain of a reinstall of OSX and end up with the same problem.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    I have had a weird issue with mail as well at home. I was using Mail in 10.5 on a G5 when I moved into my new place and it won't send emails (I should say it took forever to send a one word test email to myself) out but it will dl them fine.. I use T-bird now with no problems on 10.6 on a MBP, Mail in 10.6 still acts wonky. I even made a new user account and it does the same thing, so I think it is my internet provider issue. Because the house I lived at prior to getting my own was using Comcast internet and I now use Quest DSL.

Anyways, I feel your pain and have not a friggin clue what your problem could be. \
  • Reply 18 of 31
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    Are you sure that your ISP is not blocking port 25?
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Omega View Post

Are you sure that your ISP is not blocking port 25?

Why would they do that?
  • Reply 20 of 31
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    I think it had something to do with spam. If you google port 25 ISP blocking you will get the picture. I know when I was living in Australia a few of the ISPs were doing it. All I had to do was change the port and Mail was back online.