Adobe exec defends Flash, says Mac improvements are coming

Comments

• Reply 21 of 205
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    90% of those 85% of the top websites that use flash need it only for ads.
  • Reply 22 of 205
    "Lynch said that 19 of the top 20 smartphone makers (Apple being the only one absent) have signed on to the company's Open Screen Project and its push for Flash on mobile devices. He also said that 85 percent of the top Web sites on the Internet feature Flash content."

Sure Keith. In the form of invasive flash ads... what a wonderful legacy to leave behind. The rest of the article is just fluff... Oh yeah, we listen, we just don't DO anything about it. Give us a decade and we'll see. It's like the world's worst dad x100. Can we stop at that ice cream store? Maybe...

Pfff
  • Reply 23 of 205
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ssttuu View Post

Say goodbye to crappy flash text, crappy youtube flash videos and hidden 8 x 8 flash cookies which track you across the web.

And say goodbye to the vast majority of video on the 'web. Personally, I prefer machines that can run Flash effortlessly, rather than machines which need useful stuff to be disabled in order to function properly.

But hey - to each his own.
  • Reply 24 of 205
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That's not Adobe's fault. I use Click to Flash as well because the bathroom analogy perfectly describes the problem. Flash ads! But I have Flash ads now that can't be blocked by Click to Flash and also run on iPhone so good luck with that.

Ads aren't the issue. It doesn't matter what platforms are out there, there will always be ads. The problem is Adobe's pure negligence when it comes to performance complaints on a Mac. They have ignored the issue for years.
  • Reply 25 of 205
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

What a cop out. If you hate it so much just uninstall Flash. Why would you install click to Flash? Oh let me guess you might want to see something built in Flash- so just in case right?

Not a cop-out... just a way to keep Flash content from automatically loading and running... speeds up page loads on Safari. And when there is a video that I'd like to watch, then I can just click on it to load it.

Click to Flash is more of a transitional tool than anything else. It's really sad to think that a web browser plug-in is capable of even slowing down Safari on a Quad-Core 3GHz system.

And this whole thing of finally improving Flash on the Mac, well why now? Why not 5 years ago? Adobe is just working the marketing machine because they are afraid.
  • Reply 26 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Apparently they listen, just not to Mac users.

I don't find that terribly surprising, given how few Mac users there are.
  • Reply 27 of 205
    Adobe should have reacted the moment flash blockers started to appear for browsers. The very fact that these exist show that Flash is indeed a problem for internet usability and pleasantness. If Flash was so great, do you think that Flash blockers would be the most downloaded add-ons for Firefox and Chrome ? (I'm mentioning those 2 because their add-on pages allow to compare the popularity of various add-ons.) In business, there is the 1:10 rule : for every person that complains or show dissatisfaction, there are 10 other people out there who are the same but didn't say so. So Flash blockers are a very serious symptom that something is wrong in Flashland.

The second reason Adobe should have reacted is because the Flash blockers allow users to realize that one can live without Flash and it's not that bad to not have Flash in your web pages. So people start wondering why they should install this security hole in the first place. Leading to less and less demand for Flash. This in turn leads to a downward spiral : less demand, less sites requiring Flash. Less site requiring Flash, less interest for Flash...
  • Reply 28 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

I don't find that terribly surprising, given how few Mac users there are.

There are millions of Macs out there. Troll much? (sorry, that last bit was a redundant question).
  • Reply 29 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"You can get a great experience with Flash on a smartphone," he said.

This is quite the misleading statement. If you just read it without parsing exactly what it says, you would think that it's no problem to get Flash working on any smartphone. But it's not.

It should be something like:

You can get a great experience with Flash on a smartphone, if the smartphone maker designed the hardware and OS specifically with Flash in mind, giving Flash direct bare metal access to one of a handful of hardware video decoders, and if the Flash developer than creates a smartphone-specific version of their content [both UI and actual content] that fits into the users display, and enables the use of the completely different method of interaction that smartphones use vs desktops.

Adobe is trying to sell the idea that it's trivial for Flash to be added to the iPhone, and that once it's on the iPhone, all the web sites that use Flash will just look and work great without any changes. And they know both parts of that statement are definitely NOT true.
  • Reply 30 of 205
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Ads aren't the issue. It doesn't matter what platforms are out there, there will always be ads. The problem is Adobe's pure negligence when it comes to performance complaints on a Mac. They have ignored the issue for years.

Flash runs fine on all my Macs. I think you are just making stuff up.
  • Reply 31 of 205
    <quote=

>Currently, he admitted, video renders are more processor intensive on Apple's hardware than they are on Windows machines</quote>

ITS THE SAME FREAKIN' HARDWARE!

I've not tested it, but I've also never heard of any one saying that on an iMac dual-booted into Windows Flash is also slow. But have heard that Flash under Linux is also crap. Makes me think they have a competence problem with *nix OSes.
  • Reply 32 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tiroger View Post

As far as I'm concerned, the day flash dies, we'll be a little better for it. Bring on HTML5!

Hey Hey, My My. Adobe Flash will never die.

This "They are trying to KILL us" hyperbole is amusing, especially when it comes from the CEO.

This ain't life and death, kids. New technology rarely kills old technology for a long, long time.

After all this time, TV has not killed radio. CDs have not killed vinyl. DVDs have not killed VHS, and BluRay has not killed DVD.
  • Reply 33 of 205
    Quote:

Flash runs fine on all my Macs. I think you are just making stuff up.

You lost me after 'I think' with that statement.

Quote:

Currently, he admitted, video renders are more processor intensive on Apple's hardware than they are on Windows machines

• Reply 34 of 205
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ssttuu View Post

I went to watch the All Things D flash video in the article and it wouldnt load propperly. I think thats all I need to say about flash!

Install ClickToFlash for Mac

http://rentzsch.github.com/clicktoflash/

Say goodbye to crappy flash text, crappy youtube flash videos and hidden 8 x 8 flash cookies which track you across the web.

if you're afraid of cookies i would stay away from any website using Google Analytics as well. they track you across the internet better than flash cookies
  • Reply 35 of 205
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Yeah? How?

I'm not going to tell you, just google it.
  • Reply 36 of 205
    "It feels pretty busy around here, so I'm not sure what that's about," Lynch said. "And that's a rumor. I haven't heard that necessarily he did say that. But maybe he did, whatever."

Does that sound like a man that's in touch with his company? It feels busy around here?

Performance improvements are not enough. The program needs to be rewritten from scratch, which they should have done years ago. Now it's too late. Flash is now RealPlayer, scrambling for its life.
  • Reply 37 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Adobe (and Macromedia before them) NEVER optimized it for the Mac

Quit whining. There's a whole world of software that is not optimised for the Mac. You knew that when you chose an unpopular platform.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Flash is like a disease or virus -- WE MUST DEFEAT IT!

That viewpoint sounds insane to me.
  • Reply 38 of 205
    When the CTO's first answer ends with "whatever" and the second one begins with "totally", do you really need to continue the interview?
  • Reply 39 of 205
    Quote:

The problem is Adobe's pure negligence when it comes to performance complaints on a Mac. They have ignored the issue for years.

Hmmm....I think you should consider yourself lucky that they put any resources at all into Apple products. Lots and lots of (most?) developers don't.

Negligence implies that they have some sort of duty that they neglected. They have no duty to spend more money than the user base is worth.
  • Reply 40 of 205
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

And say goodbye to the vast majority of video on the 'web. Personally, I prefer machines that can run Flash effortlessly, rather than machines which need useful stuff to be disabled in order to function properly.

Goodbye!