Question about HD Wipe and Snow Leopard upgrade...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm new here and pretty uneducated when it comes to the Mac. I found bits and pieces to my question(s) here and there, but nothing directly answering my question, so I apologize if this is answered elsewhere.

My brother recently purchased the Snow Leopard upgrade for our Macs with the 5 uses on it. I installed it on my MacBook Pro that had Tiger on it. The install was smooth and there are no functionality issues whatsoever. However, I was hoping it was going to prompt me to do a fresh install or migrate my old files. It didn't. So, now of course I was thinking I could've done a fresh install of Tiger with the original install disk, then upgrade to Snow Leopard. However, if I do that I assume it will use up another use on my brothers disc?

If that's the case, what would be the best route to take to clean my HD? Also, what programs would you all recommend to keep it clean, and defraged, etc?

Thank you for any help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    If you want to do a re-install, go right ahead... it has no effect on how many times you can use the DVD... Apple sells 5 licenses with it, but relies on the "honor system" with its consumers.

Clean?... that's just a matter of deleting stuff you don't want.

Defragmented?... not necessary. You'll notice Apple chose to use a different HDD format than Windows does (they call it Mac OS Extended) ... one of the advantages of that formatting scheme is that defragmenting the disk makes no real difference in performance.