When will be the next imac refresh?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I don't know if I should buy an imac now or wait for the summer refresh. Or will there be a refresh in summer? Apple has been known for refreshing their products every 8-10 months of period time. If the history repeats itself, then imac will be refreshed just in time for the WWDC 2010. I am also holding my purchase because apple will offer free ipod touches for the students and faculty members. Well, I will be qualified for this. Here are the reasons why I am holding up my purchase.

1. Back to School promo is not too far away. I don't need another ipod nano or ipod touch, but I can sell these off to use the money on my imac purchase.

2. I am not happy with current imac. The design is great, but I still think it's way overpriced. They should offer ATI 4850 graphic card as a standard and offer ATI 5 series graphic card on the premium models for around 1499-1799 dollars with i7 chip. I don't care about blu-ray and I am sure apple will never add one for a long time.

3. Last but not least, I was worried about 27 inch imac issue, but it seems to be solved by now.

What do you all think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mde24mde24 Posts: 27member
    I see that the lead time has gone up from 1 week to 2 weeks for the 27" on the UK Apple store. I don't know if this is a sign of anything or not.

Personal suspicions are that there will be a minor CPU upgrade, a small drop in price and a lot of changes behind the scenes that are not publicised. The update will come once Apple have fixed the hardware bugs, built up a reasonable stock in the supply chain and cleared their inventory of existing ones. I make no guess as to when that will be.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    According to Mac Rumors buying guide, the iMac is mid life cycle.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac

Going by the averages, you are looking at about 2.5-3 mos. Personally, if I didn't *need* a new Mac I'd wait...but I like buying at the beginning of the life cycle.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Keda View Post

Going by the averages, you are looking at about 2.5-3 mos. Personally, if I didn't *need* a new Mac I'd wait...but I like buying at the beginning of the life cycle.

I would wait extra this time if I could.

The next iMac refresh will likely see all machines move to Nehalem cpus. That's where you want to be. If it was just going to be a speed bump within the same cpu architecture then I wouldn't wait. Those speed bumps are usually pretty measured anyways.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 12,802member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hcho321 View Post

I don't know if I should buy an imac now or wait for the summer refresh. Or will there be a refresh in summer?

You get the best value from Apple on Macs new to the market. There is little to debate here.

Quote:

Apple has been known for refreshing their products every 8-10 months of period time. If the history repeats itself, then imac will be refreshed just in time for the WWDC 2010. I am also holding my purchase because apple will offer free ipod touches for the students and faculty members. Well, I will be qualified for this. Here are the reasons why I am holding up my purchase.

You focus on issues that aren't important. The primary question is do you need it now. If so buy now otherwise hold off. If you are in education as you imply you certainly don't need to worry about it now.

Quote:

1. Back to School promo is not too far away. I don't need another ipod nano or ipod touch, but I can sell these off to use the money on my imac purchase.

The last few Back to School promos have been excellent but that doesn't imply that future promos will be all that great or feature the hardware that you want. As for another Touch, a new rev might be very desirable. What I'm saying here is don't count your chickens before they are hatched.

Quote:

2. I am not happy with current imac. The design is great, but I still think it's way overpriced. They should offer ATI 4850 graphic card as a standard and offer ATI 5 series graphic card on the premium models for around 1499-1799 dollars with i7 chip. I don't care about blu-ray and I am sure apple will never add one for a long time.

This is the part of your post that I objected to when I first read it. The iMac was one heck of a value when introduced a few months ago and still is a good value. The display quality is pretty impressive for one and is something you would pay good bucks for in a standalone monitor.

The supplied video cards really aren't that bad. Sure ATI now has some excellent cards to replace what is currently in the iMac but they have only been on the market a short time. That however does not significantly shift the value equation. I would suspect however that the video hardware will be addressed with the next rev.

Quote:

3. Last but not least, I was worried about 27 inch imac issue, but it seems to be solved by now.

Yes this seems to have been resolved. However waiting for the next round of revisions means that you get the next round of bugs. You could say that buying at the tail end of a product cycle will yield a more bug free machine.

Quote:

What do you all think?

Well hopefully my thinking has come through. In a nut shell don't buy until you need it. Also this is a Mac and as such you can't expect to be on the bleeding edge hardware wise.

Personally I'm a little put off with Apples less than bleeding edge video hardware in the iMac. On the otherhand I'm enough of an engineer to understand the thermal issues with the platform. So even with the next rev I try to remain conservative with respect to my expectations and hope that Apple surprises us.

In anyevent if what is implied here seems wrong to you then I'd suggest going out and pricing a stand alone LCD monitor that performs like the ones in the current iMacs. There are only a couple that come with equal resolution. The current iMac is in many ways still a bargain.

Dave
  • Reply 5 of 5
    No matter how long you wait to buy a computer, the next model refresh will always offer you more.So if you wait until it has the best, most stuff that'll never be refreshed again, you'll never get a computer because there will always be something new coming out.My advice is buy the best you can afford so you can get down to doing stuff. Also, start saving your money for the next best computer once this one stops doing what you want.