Safari Windows Problem

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
i have been posting all over no one seems to be able to help me.. i try to use safari to go to a website.. get this message:

Safari can?t open the page.

Safari can?t open the page ?https://ui.labor.state.ny.us/UBC/home.do? because Safari can?t establish a secure connection to the server ?ui.labor.state.ny.us?.

i can access this site with IE (ugh) and Moz Firefox just fine.. i have done everything apple suggested.. have tried creating a new user account (using a toshiba laptop with vista).. still doesnt work..

my dad has XP on his PC and safari works ok on that too.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I get the same:

In OSX/Safari

Quote:

Not Found

We're sorry, the resource you requested could not be found on this server.

But in OSX/Firefox, OSX/Opera, and OSX/Chrome that webpage/site works fine.

The W3C validator reports 45 "errors" in that page, so it appears to be a case of shoddy coding there, which Safari is less tolerant of than FF, Chrome, and Opera are. Safari is stricter in adhering to W3C rules.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by semiferger View Post

I think if it did not launch properly then you have a problem withyour OS and not your user, which is a good thing and fairly easy to fix. The process is called an archive andi nstall. Find your OS disks and boot from the first one(hold the 'C' key down while restarting the computer with the OS CD in the optical drive). Progress through each window until you get to one with a picture of a hard drive on it. There should be an "options" button in the bottom left. Select this and choose "archive and install" and subsequently "preserve user settings and accounts". This will reinstall your OS while leaving any information in the Users folder alone.

Reinstalling your OS is a darn fundamental move. Don't do it if you don't have to. And you don't have to, because the problem is with that website, not with your machine, your OS, or your applications! So reinstalling your OS won't cure this prob!

But if you insist on reinstalling your operating system, MAKE A SOLID BACKUP FIRST!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I would NOT reinstall the system software because Safari barfs on ONE website.

That's retarded and could lead to data loss.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BLOND37 View Post

i have been posting all over no one seems to be able to help me.. i try to use safari to go to a website.. get this message:

Safari can?t open the page.

Safari can?t open the page ?https://ui.labor.state.ny.us/UBC/home.do? because Safari can?t establish a secure connection to the server ?ui.labor.state.ny.us?.

i can access this site with IE (ugh) and Moz Firefox just fine.. i have done everything apple suggested.. have tried creating a new user account (using a toshiba laptop with vista).. still doesnt work..

my dad has XP on his PC and safari works ok on that too.

The link embedded in your post does not work because it is improperly formed. Properly formed, the connection works just fine in my implementation of Safari. Click this: https://ui.labor.state.ny.us/UBC/home.do.