Apple Bookstore & books in the public domain

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Does anyone know whether the Apple Bookstore will offer free books from the public domain like the Kindle store does?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    solareinsolarein Posts: 143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipaderic View Post

Does anyone know whether the Apple Bookstore will offer free books from the public domain like the Kindle store does?

I don't think it will. They will probably reason that offering public domain works will confuse users with the idea that intellectual property could be acquired freely or that there's a limit to intellectual property rights. So they may refuse to offer public domain works in the interest of providing a better, less confusing experience for the user.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solarein View Post

I don't think it will. They will probably reason that offering public domain works will confuse users with the idea that intellectual property could be acquired freely or that there's a limit to intellectual property rights. So they may refuse to offer public domain works in the interest of providing a better, less confusing experience for the user.

That is some of the worst logic I've ever heard. So you're right, they probably will do exactly that. Does anyone even have confirmation that we'll be able to load our own books onto this? Everyone just seems to expect it, but I don't recall them saying that they will allow it.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    I think they might after the iBook systems settle in a bit. Maybe a handful at the start, but Apple will probably be focused on the launch in the immediate future.

There are a lot of options available to Apple once the program starts generating sales. Why not have "Rent" & "Buy" options, like there is with Movies? Found a new writer? You are more likely to buy that writers older books if you can simply download them at a very good price. Previous books collections at maybe $3 per book when you buy them all. Not a bad situation for the publisher or writer - better than buying used books on Amazon.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    mandricardmandricard Posts: 486member
    I thought I read somewhere that they were going to have the entire Project Gutenberg library available free in the iBookstore...

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider