Apple iPad success could increase solid state drive prices

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

If you need that much capacity in your iPad you are just going have to wait. Most laptop SSDs that I've seen are about 256 GB max and I don't think that they will fit in an iPad.

Overall prices on SSDs have been dropping, however newer SSDs using newer technology are higher in price.

Still waiting for a 2 TB SDXC?

http://en.akihabaranews.com/28155/pe...-is-my-2tb-one

I honestly don't get the mentality of those posters. They hear about a new technology just being ratified with some amazing speed or performance and all of a sudden even tech that is still years form being viable on the consumer market is no longer adequate. Do these posters honestly think that a 2TB SDXC card is right around the corner or are they trolling?
  • Reply 42 of 49
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I honestly don't get the mentality of those posters. They hear about a new technology just being ratified with some amazing speed or performance and all of a sudden even tech that is still years form being viable on the consumer market. Do these posters honestly think that a 2TB SDXC card is right around the corner or are they trolling?

It is pretty silly. It seems fasionable to grossly misunderstand the standard announcement, but that really doesn't excuse it that much. 2TB on a single chip package is several years away, 5 years, assuming it doubles every year. The 64GB card will start out with a list price of $600:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/06/p...ungodly-amoun/
  • Reply 43 of 49
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Nah. The iPad probably uses the slowest, cheapest flash, so it'll only affect the prices of the slowest, cheapest SSDs. Not any drives worth buying.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Nah. The iPad probably uses the slowest, cheapest flash, so it won't affect SSD prices much.

One suspected reason for the 3GS' increased speed over mobiles is faster NAND. If this is true I hope that this can find its way into the iPad as I'd think it's more likely to have more read/write than the iPhone which is mostly synced and then used with no Disk Mode option.
  • Reply 45 of 49
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:

Nah. The iPad probably uses the slowest, cheapest flash, so it'll only affect the prices of the slowest, cheapest SSDs. Not any drives worth buying.

Why do you think that? More likely Apple will use the same NAND as in the iPod Touch and iPhone or all three will get the new Toshiba 64 GB NAND.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/15/t...gives-a-nudge/
  • Reply 46 of 49
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:

I honestly don't get the mentality of those posters. They hear about a new technology just being ratified with some amazing speed or performance and all of a sudden even tech that is still years form being viable on the consumer market is no longer adequate. Do these posters honestly think that a 2TB SDXC card is right around the corner or are they trolling?

Dont worry, that poster shows he has little or no understanding of SDXC, or SD, NAND, Flash and SSD or even Technology in general. My guess he is not trolling, it is just he lacks the understanding of how things work.

Quote:

Well, if the Slowest and Cheapest NAND price is rising, then so will the faster and more expensive NAND. In general, iPad will eat up much or all of the current available NAND capacity, which will drive NAND up until Samsung finish building their new fabs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Why do you think that? More likely Apple will use the same NAND as in the iPod Touch and iPhone or all three will get the new Toshiba 64 GB NAND.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/15/t...gives-a-nudge/

Properly not. Toshiba wont have enough of those for Apple, Since Toshiba has less then 30% of the NAND market and it has to cater for customers other then Apple.

Quote:

Can we just move the whole world to SSD already. I'm getting tired of waiting for this to be standard and I bet Apple is too

I suppose Apple would love to. They get very favorable price for their NAND, and SSD is super easy to make with an off the shelf controller. ( SandForce / Indilinx ) You could literally solder one for yourself if you have the right components.

But the problem again as i stated earlier, there are simply not enough capacity to do so, Making SSD for every Mac sold would means apple taking more then 50% of NAND Market. Since Sandisk needs 30 - 40 % of NAND as well, there aren't enough NAND chips.

Until Samsung, Hynix, Toshiba, and Micron finish building their new Fabs which will complete at the end of 2010 or first half of 2011. And with smaller nodes, we should have double the NAND capacity by 2012.
  • Reply 47 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Until Samsung, Hynix, Toshiba, and Micron finish building their new Fabs which will complete at the end of 2010 or first half of 2011. And with smaller nodes, we should have double the NAND capacity by 2012.

Hopefully more than doubling if 3-bit MLC ever gets viable for SSDs along with the shrink. Then we might start seeing SSDs which best 9.5mm 2.5" HDD capacities, though still at a greater price, but that could mean a smaller capacity would be affordable, would still be plenty of storage for most people's needs and would give additional performance in the trade off. I think in 5 years HDDs will be regulated to the cheap notebooks.
  • Reply 48 of 49
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:

Hopefully more than doubling if 3-bit MLC ever gets viable for SSDs along with the shrink. Then we might start seeing SSDs which best 9.5mm 2.5" HDD capacities, though still at a greater price, but that could mean a smaller capacity would be affordable, would still be plenty of storage for most people's needs and would give additional performance in the trade off. I think in 5 years HDDs will be regulated to the cheap notebooks.

We may not see mass adoption of 3-bit MLC in 2010 or even 2011. It has major problem with relaibity and no one are willing to buy if your Flash fail you after a few times of usage.
  • Reply 49 of 49
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

::sigh:: Is this poster actually suggesting that a 2TB drive could feasibly have been in a tablet?

or 500 or 320 for that matter. No acknowledgement from him on that, but not surprising.

Realistically, the storage of an iPad doesn't matter at all, just like that of an iPod or iPhone.

It isn't the base station. In the practical world, you will sync with a Mac or PC (or at least have the option to) every single day. Meaning, every single day, you can rotate the content on the device.

For normal people, this is not only acceptable, but preferable. I don't keep entire seasons of TV Shows that I've already watched, stored locally on a portable device. What a waste!

The iPad is designed to carry to the photos, music, & video that you need for today, or maybe for the weekend. Wanting/Expecting it to hold everything is unrealistic, and unnecessary.

Prioritizing large storage for a device like this would not only be dumb, it would be unworkable.