Apple inches Mac OS X 10.6.3 closer to release.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

In my own case, I could have bought a core i5 HP computer with a 21 or 24 inch monitor for $500 or $800 less. Is that what I should have done for you to feel comfortable with your lie (that Mac OS X is so much better than Windows 7)?:

So in the interest of balance what advantage do you gain from your 27 inch Mac versus the Windows equivalents?
  • Reply 22 of 56
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

This is the kind of arrogant and ignorant attitude that will drive down Mac sales. With a 4% world market share, I believe that Apple cannot miss a sale.

In my own case, I could have bought a core i5 HP computer with a 21 or 24 inch monitor for $500 or $800 less. Is that what I should have done for you to feel comfortable with your lie (that Mac OS X is so much better than Windows 7)?

By the way, my 27 inch iMac costs more than my 46 inch Sony Bravia digital TV from last year and I cannot watch TV on my iMac (which I could do with $1,500 Windows 7 HP or Dell computers). Should I have to pay that much for an iMac that cannot be used to watch TV?

Let's end ignorance. We can be happy, even proud, but we don't have to be arrogant and ignorant.

1) Apple can't miss a sale yet it's considerably more profitable than other vendors?

2) Apple can't miss a sale yet it takes 10-12(?) Windows OEM licenses to equal one Mac sale?

3) You negatively compare a 27" computer with an S-IPS display, LED backlight and 2560x1440 display to a TV because the TV has a bigger display despite everything else being substantially weaker?

4) You say that you can watch TV on a $1,500 HP or Dell yet I can find you PCs that cost more that don't have tuners in them. I can also find you a great USB tuner for the iMac and any other PC out there, so what is your point: All computers need to be designed around TVs? Please!
  • Reply 23 of 56
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leithal View Post

What's the hurry?

This is the second straight build with no outstanding issues, which tells me it is pretty much ready for release.
  • Reply 24 of 56
    Quote:

This is the kind of arrogant and ignorant attitude that will drive down Mac sales. With a 4% world market share, I believe that Apple cannot miss a sale.

In my own case, I could have bought a core i5 HP computer with a 21 or 24 inch monitor for $500 or $800 less. Is that what I should have done for you to feel comfortable with your lie (that Mac OS X is so much better than Windows 7)?

By the way, my 27 inch iMac costs more than my 46 inch Sony Bravia digital TV from last year and I cannot watch TV on my iMac (which I could do with $1,500 Windows 7 HP or Dell computers). Should I have to pay that much for an iMac that cannot be used to watch TV?

Let's end ignorance. We can be happy, even proud, but we don't have to be arrogant and ignorant.

it is your boring rants that make me not want to read these posts... prefer to read from Mac community than a Windows switcher community complaining about Mac. I hear you though you have written your 'almost' same comments on a previous post... wow you really want to be heard.

I am a true Mac lover, buy a Mac, not buy a Mac to make into a Windows PC... sort of like a fixup husband really, you then groom to make into what you want....

nah... I am out of here before I am witness to your boring reply... take me off unsubscribe me...please

arrogant no... mac lover... yes
  • Reply 25 of 56
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Apple can't afford to ship a buggy OS so let them take their time. The 10.6.2 is just fine for me. The iPhone OS is based on the OSX core so they must be taking extra precautions to make sure downstream OS flavors aren't bugger'd with OSX releases.

I'd say that 10.6.3 will come out after the iPad release and more likely in mid-April.
  • Reply 26 of 56
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:

Will it close the gap with Windows?

Now that I have returned to the Mac after an 8 year period on Windows XP, I can't wait for a Mac OS X update, although I believe that it is scheduled to coincide with a Tuesday MacBook Pro refresh.

As a former Windows XP user, I miss the following Windows XP features on my 27 inch iMac with Mac OS 10.6.2:

- Using Cut & Paste in Finder windows as a way to move applications, files or folders from one folder to another;

- Using the Forward and Back buttons as a way to change slides while viewing .jpg slides. The function seems to be present on my iMac, but it is not functioning;

- Using the Move to the Higher Folder button in Finder windows as a way to move quickly to the folder containing the folder of the file I am using;

- Using the Delete button in Finder windows as a way to quickly delete files or folders;

- Copying folders with the knowledge that a folder containing 4 files will not erase a folder with the same name, but containing 100 files. Windows XP warns me that a folder with the same name already exists and that identical files will be replaced while other files will be added to the existing folder. On an individual file basis, Windows XP warns me that an older or newer file exists in the destination folder and ask me if I want to replace it with the file I am copying or moving;

- Using the left side of Finder windows to find a list of actions for the files or folders that I have selected (such as Copy to, Move to or Delete);

= Using a clock in the Dock because the upper right clock in the Menu Bar is too far and too small to be useful with a 27 inch monitor. The Dock clock should be optional and look like the Temperature Monitor Dock application (grayish-green digital watch background with large numbers) and display the date above the Dock application when mousing over. The OtherTime Dock application is not 64 bit Cocoa code, but 32 bit PowerPC code, and numbers are too small;

- Upgrading graphic drivers to the just released ATI Catalyst 10.1 drivers;

- Using 64 bit Windows applications, especially music applications. Because the open source MacFuse application used by third-party developers to enable Windows applications on Mac OS 10.6 is 32 bit only, I can't use any 64 bit Windows applications with Mac OS 10.6;

- Listening to lossless classical music and operas in Monkey's audio .ape, Free Lossless Audio Codec .flac, or WavPack .wv files. FLAC is an open source music codec recognized as a music compression standard by the European Union and Music Recording Companies, yet it is not supported by iTunes. WavPack is also open source, but again, it is not supported by iTunes. As for Monkey's Audio APE files, they were the first compressed lossless audio files available on the internet and are still the most prevalent (70%+ ?), yet they are not supported by iTunes.

If you love classical music and operas, lossless compression is the only way acceptable. iTunes 256 kbps compression doesn't cut it. The problem with Mac music software is that iTunes is just a storefront which doesn't really support lossless music "if it is not bought on iTunes".

As for third-party music software on the Mac, a small market share is made worst by the prevalence of iTunes which lead to little development for software like Play or Tag. The features and ease of use of software like dbPowerAMP, Tag&Rename or FlashRenamer just doesn't exist on the Mac. My solution: use 32 bit Windows applications on the Mac with Macindows enabling software, but is it acceptable for the long term?

Hopefully, Apple will address the weaknesses of iTunes and Mac OS 10.6 in the near future. There is a very large number of Windows users at work who might buy a Mac at home if only the Mac weaknesses were addressed. And with a $40 billion treasure chest, what is keeping Apple from hiring talented programmers and helping selected third-party developers to close the gap between Mac OS X and Windows 7?

If Apple doesn't wake up, dissatisfied Windows switchers will spread the word and prevent others from switching back to the Mac.

Complacency and self-satisfaction are the enemies of the Mac.

Good god man. You are a complete muppet. WTF are you doing with a high res 27" screen if you cannot even read the clock. Please troll no more and welcome to the ignore list.
  • Reply 27 of 56
    groutygrouty Posts: 1member
    Quote:

Now that I have returned to the Mac after an 8 year period on Windows XP, I can't wait for a Mac OS X update, although I believe that it is scheduled to coincide with a Tuesday MacBook Pro refresh.

As a former Windows XP user, I miss the following Windows XP features on my 27 inch iMac with Mac OS 10.6.2:

Hi. I thought I would try to be a little more helpful than just suggesting you move back to Windows. I have addressed some of your issues below. I have no expertise in audio files so someone else will have to help you on that subject. This is probably not the forum for that so a Google search might help.

Quote:

- Using Cut & Paste in Finder windows as a way to move applications, files or folders from one folder to another;

This works a little differently on the Mac. Just right click then select: Copy "the name of the file you want to copy" then paste it at the target location. Not exactly the same as Cut/Copy/Paste as there is no "Cut" option but works for moving files.

Quote:

- Using the Delete button in Finder windows as a way to quickly delete files or folders;

This is the other half of the 'moving folders or files issue'. Select a file or folder and hit "command + delete" to send it to the trash. This avoids having extra copies of the same file when you just want to move it rather than copy it.

Quote:

- Using the Forward and Back buttons as a way to change slides while viewing .jpg slides. The function seems to be present on my iMac, but it is not functioning;

I'm guessing you want to view a series of photos in the same folder? If so, just click on the 1st photo and hit space-bar to open it in QuickLook. then use the arrow keys to progress through the list of photos. Works for me.

Quote:

- Using the Move to the Higher Folder button in Finder windows as a way to move quickly to the folder containing the folder of the file I am using;

In any finder window use the Command key and the up-arrow key to move up a level in a directory hierarchy.

Quote:

- Copying folders with the knowledge that a folder containing 4 files will not erase a folder with the same name, but containing 100 files. Windows XP warns me that a folder with the same name already exists and that identical files will be replaced while other files will be added to the existing folder. On an individual file basis, Windows XP warns me that an older or newer file exists in the destination folder and ask me if I want to replace it with the file I am copying or moving;

Again this is not quite the same but when I try to copy a file or folder into a directory containing another file or folder with the same name I get a warning. It tells me if the file I am moving is older or younger than the one which will be overwritten. You are right in that it doesn't tell me about the relative contents of each folder but it makes me pause and check what I am doing.

Quote:

- Using the left side of Finder windows to find a list of actions for the files or folders that I have selected (such as Copy to, Move to or Delete);

Again, most of the options I am used to seeing in the left of a directory window in Windows are available in a contextual menu by right clicking on the file I wish to act on.

Quote:

= Using a clock in the Dock because the upper right clock in the Menu Bar is too far and too small to be useful with a 27 inch monitor. The Dock clock should be optional and look like the Temperature Monitor Dock application (grayish-green digital watch background with large numbers) and display the date above the Dock application when mousing over. The OtherTime Dock application is not 64 bit Cocoa code, but 32 bit PowerPC code, and numbers are too small;

It might not suit you but you could easily change the resolution of the monitor in the "Monitors" control panel under system preferences. This would make the clock bigger. Personally I have no trouble reading the time from my menu bar but if a dock clock is what you want then there are a number available. Many are free and others cost less than $5.00. Check out MacUpdate for some examples.

Quote:

Well above my pay grade.

Quote:

If Apple doesn't wake up, dissatisfied Windows switchers will spread the word and prevent others from switching back to the Mac.

I hope the information above goes some way to addressing your issues with your new O/S. Switching is never as easy as it is made out to be but the more time you spend in your new environment the more comfortable you will become. I use both Macs and Windows on a daily basis and am at least competent on both. However I use Macs at home and Windows at work because it is what my employer supplies. I just find the Mac easier to use. It is NOT the same as the Windows O/S I use at work and I wouldn't want it to be. Some things are better, some things are worse and some things are just different.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 28 of 56
    7600/1327600/132 Posts: 51member
    Quote:

I'd say that Mac OS X is already ahead, so it'll actually widen the gap.

You've got a few interesting suggestions, but you also seem to be missing a bit of info on how Snow Leopard works...

Quote:

Customize the Finder toolbar. Add the Path button to move to higher folders, and the Delete button does what it says

Quote:

In SL, you can copy and paste, but not cut. What happens if a file is "cut" but not pasted, should the file be deleted or restored to its former place? The former is an invitation for data loss, the latter is inconsistent with the behavior of "cut" in pretty much all other apps.

Quote:

- Listening to lossless classical music and operas in

Use Apple Lossless. iTunes can rip your CDs to it, and a third-party program X-Lossless Decoder (XLD) can convert any files you already have.

Quote:

= Using a clock in the Dock

Get a third-party clock. Try an analogue clock, it'll fit the Dock better and will be easier to read at small sizes.

----

Merging folders rather than replacing seems like a good idea to me, but everything else is just things where Windows and Mac do things differently. Just because you've gotten used to Windows over the last few years doesn't make it the gold standard.

--

Edit: Wow, beaten by less than one minute. I'll leave my post as-is though, as some of my suggestions were different.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    First 10.6 is not a beta, it isn't perfect but no OS is. What is important is that 10.6 is a massive improvement over 10.5.

Now as to the problems 10.6 does have, they aren't severe. Frankly it is good that Apple is focusing so heavily on QuickTime and Video drivers as these are areas in need. The good thing here is that 10.6 is good enough right now that Apple can afford to do extended testing and debug.

Further I don't see where OS updates can ever be seen as a bad thing. By their very nature OSs continue to grow and mature basically forever. Or atleast until they are replaced. If nothing else updates leverage new hardware.

In the end the negativity with repect to this update is unwarranted. Plus the update might signal support for new hardware that everybody is waiting on.

Dave
  • Reply 30 of 56
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Apple can't miss a sale yet it's considerably more profitable than other vendors?

2) Apple can't miss a sale yet it takes 10-12(?) Windows OEM licenses to equal one Mac sale?

3) You negatively compare a 27" computer with an S-IPS display, LED backlight and 2560x1440 display to a TV because the TV has a bigger display despite everything else being substantially weaker?

4) You say that you can watch TV on a $1,500 HP or Dell yet I can find you PCs that cost more that don't have tuners in them. I can also find you a great USB tuner for the iMac and any other PC out there, so what is your point: All computers need to be designed around TVs? Please!

Well Said!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 31 of 56
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Grouty View Post

Hi. I thought I would try to be a little more helpful than just suggesting you move back to Windows. I have addressed some of your issues below. I have no expertise in audio files so someone else will have to help you on that subject. This is probably not the forum for that so a Google search might help.

This works a little differently on the Mac. Just right click then select: Copy "the name of the file you want to copy" then paste it at the target location. Not exactly the same as Cut/Copy/Paste as there is no "Cut" option but works for moving files.

This is the other half of the 'moving folders or files issue'. Select a file or folder and hit "command + delete" to send it to the trash. This avoids having extra copies of the same file when you just want to move it rather than copy it.

I'm guessing you want to view a series of photos in the same folder? If so, just click on the 1st photo and hit space-bar to open it in QuickLook. then use the arrow keys to progress through the list of photos. Works for me.

In any finder window use the Command key and the up-arrow key to move up a level in a directory hierarchy.

Again this is not quite the same but when I try to copy a file or folder into a directory containing another file or folder with the same name I get a warning. It tells me if the file I am moving is older or younger than the one which will be overwritten. You are right in that it doesn't tell me about the relative contents of each folder but it makes me pause and check what I am doing.

Again, most of the options I am used to seeing in the left of a directory window in Windows are available in a contextual menu by right clicking on the file I wish to act on.

It might not suit you but you could easily change the resolution of the monitor in the "Monitors" control panel under system preferences. This would make the clock bigger. Personally I have no trouble reading the time from my menu bar but if a dock clock is what you want then there are a number available. Many are free and others cost less than $5.00. Check out MacUpdate for some examples.

Well above my pay grade.

I hope the information above goes some way to addressing your issues with your new O/S. Switching is never as easy as it is made out to be but the more time you spend in your new environment the more comfortable you will become. I use both Macs and Windows on a daily basis and am at least competent on both. However I use Macs at home and Windows at work because it is what my employer supplies. I just find the Mac easier to use. It is NOT the same as the Windows O/S I use at work and I wouldn't want it to be. Some things are better, some things are worse and some things are just different.

Hope this helps.

Excellent 1st post!
  • Reply 32 of 56
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Check out iStat Menu's. It will let you put your own clock display in the menu bar (don't forget to turn off the system clock in your preferences). It will also let you specify font size, formatting (12 or 24 hour), day formatting, month, etc.

Free for personal use. It also has options to display CPU utilization, disk utilization, memory, network utilization, etc.

Great tool.

http://bjango.com/apps/
  • Reply 33 of 56
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Check out iStat Menu's. It will let you put your own clock display in the menu bar (don't forget to turn off the system clock in your preferences). It will also let you specify font size, formatting (12 or 24 hour), day formatting, month, etc.

Free for personal use. It also has options to display CPU utilization, disk utilization, memory, network utilization, etc.

Great tool.

http://bjango.com/apps/

Right?! And you can always assign Dashboard to a Hot Corner with various clocks on them so you can quickly pop in and out of having a big clock. I have no problem with people wishing things were done differently but often it's seems they are just complaining to complain without even looking for a resolution.
  • Reply 34 of 56
    tsatsa Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cranky View Post

Excellent 1st post!

Yes. Finally someone who takes an ignorant switcher seriously. Ignorance does not equal stupidity. Pity that so many Apple lovers are too stuck-up to recognize that.
  • Reply 35 of 56
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

I don't know. It doesn't really matter if they have two or twenty. What matters is the quality of the released code.

Anyone know any Pro Audio people using snow? I still see tiger on really high end edit bays, ie Bravo, FCP and AE. Snow still crashes Logic. Hope this update stops the crashing.
  • Reply 36 of 56
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:

Most of what you listed are little bits of functionality that you learned on WIndows. OS X is not attempting to copy windows.

I certainly agree with the one about moving folders with same name. It is dangerous and users can lose data - not a good situation at all.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    Don't know if this has come up in discussions.

However, it would be nice to know what this incremental upgrades break. Usually, in my experience, an upgrade usually breaks something like Songbird or Podworks and seems there is a pattern of "eliminated" competition through these upgrades.

It has gotten so that I don't upgrade as often as I used to do since I no longer trust Apple's at time underhanded tactics of protecting their turf through upgrades.
  • Reply 38 of 56
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

Didn't you know?

OS X is never out of Beta, it's a constant work in progress.

As soon as it's out of Beta, it's dead and replaced with something else that's in Beta.

Isn't this the truth? Gone are the days when we had stability, security and consistency in an operating system that is used to run our computers. I hope we get out of this farce sometime in the future. Personally, I am of the opinion that an OS update every 4-5 years is fine. Any updates in between for new hardware and features can be a service pack.
  • Reply 39 of 56
    amdahlamdahl Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leithal View Post

I was a Snow Leopard beta tester ...

Oh, so it's your fault?
  • Reply 40 of 56
    webraiderwebraider Posts: 163member
    Quote:

Will it close the gap with Windows?As a former Windows XP user, I miss the following Windows XP features on my 27 inch iMac with Mac OS 10.6.2:

You don't need to do this.. Spring Loaded folders works much better. Just highlight the folders, Icon's that you want to move, drag them to the folder that you want, and they will spring open revealing it's subfolders etc...

Quote:

You Can do this fine using Quick look. Highlight the jpegs you want to view, hit the space bar.. use the forward and back arrows. You can also do this easily in cover flow view

Quote:

Using the Move to the Higher Folder button in Finder windows as a way to move quickly to the folder containing the folder of the file I am

You can do this.. right click the folder that you are in at the top center of your finder screen, then click whatever previous folder in the hierarchy you want to go to and you are there. As an alternative that YOU CANNOT do in Windows, drag your most frequently used folder to the places part of the sidebar in the finder. This will also satisfy your first point about about cutting and pasting applications etc. Its simply just not necessary. You can organize your finder sidebar however you want easy just like an iTunes playlist.

Quote:

Again.. you can do this. Just select the file, folder or app you want to delete, and press Command + Delete. How long have you been using a Mac????

Quote:

This will NEVER happen in Mac OS X because it's backwards thinking. A folder is treated like any other icon. You drag it and it replaces what's there. You will get a warning it the item is newer. It's consistent. Solution: Again.. Use spring loaded folders. Select all of the items inside the folder you want to move, and drag them via spring loaded folders to the new or older folder. Then you will get the result you want (warnings etc...) It really doesn't take anymore time. Or you can copy and paste them there. You will get the SAME result. It really is six of one, half a dozen of another and quite honestly this is Spilt Milk.

Quote:

Um.. you did check the menu right? in the finder. all of these things are there except move to. You can do that with Spring loaded folders, or by putting your most frequent folders in the sidebar. You can do it just as efficiently as "Move To" too. Windows needs move to because it's hard drive is not set up for the user to explore it as easily. Therefore shortcuts are needed. Mac is set-up for easier exploration of the hard drive.

Quote:

This makes no sense and doesn't effect productivity in the least, It's illogical

Quote:

Graphics drivers are automatic and fully supported by the operating system. Windows is not. It's give and take. The benefit is that it actually works when it happens. In windows it's more than often not stable.

Quote:

- Using 64 bit Windows applications, especially music applications. Because the open source MacFuse application used by third-party developers to enable Windows applications on Mac OS 10.6 is 32 bit only, I can't use any 64 bit Windows applications with Mac OS 10.6;

Why on earth would you want to even use this??? Who cares? I'm sure that whatever you are doing you can do with the appropriate Apple Software. Logic Pro is full 64 Bit and is quite honestly better than any Windows Audio App out there.

Quote:

- Listening to lossless classical music and operas in Monkey's audio .ape, Free Lossless Audio Codec .flac, or WavPack .wv files. FLAC is an open source music codec recognized as a music compression standard by the European Union and Music Recording Companies, yet it is not supported by iTunes. WavPack is also open source, but again, it is not supported by iTunes. As for Monkey's Audio APE files, they were the first compressed lossless audio files available on the internet and are still the most prevalent (70%+ ?), yet they are not supported by iTunes.

There are quite a few FLAC players and converters for the Mac. Just use one.

Quote:

-If you love classical music and operas, lossless compression is the only way acceptable. iTunes 256 kbps compression doesn't cut it. The problem with Mac music software is that iTunes is just a storefront which doesn't really support lossless music "if it is not bought on iTunes".

Then I suggest you use .AIFF in Itunes which is Lossless. Or If you must hinder yourself to windows, use .WAV. Select this in iTunes as the import option and import it from the CD. Either one is Completely lossless. iTunes, Amazon, All the commercial companies sell downloadable music in a compressed format. At least .aac is better than .mp3. You can download a plug-in to play and import all your flak songs in iTunes. Flac is not lossless and coming from a Classically trained musician, I prefer .aac. If you want Lossless then don't waste your time with flac. Go Aiff, or Wav. Do you even know what you're talking about?

Quote:

As for third-party music software on the Mac, a small market share is made worst by the prevalence of iTunes which lead to little development for software like Play or Tag. The features and ease of use of software like dbPowerAMP, Tag&Rename or FlashRenamer just doesn't exist on the Mac. My solution: use 32 bit Windows applications on the Mac with Macindows enabling software, but is it acceptable for the long term?

Again.. You have no idea what you are talking about. You really haven't been on the mac long enough because there are so many options out there. If you are having such a hard time. I suggest you go back to windows. In order to use the Mac you have to think out of the box. Mac is not windows and for those of us who use it we are thankful. There are ways to do everything that you want to do but you have to learn a different way and once you do, you understand that in almost every situation it's better and makes more sense. You have been in a windows only world that you can only think about things from a windows perspective. If however, that makes you happy then you SHOULDN'T have switched. Mac will not be windows EVER and I for one and Happy with that.

Quote:

Hopefully, Apple will address the weaknesses of iTunes and Mac OS 10.6 in the near future. There is a very large number of Windows users at work who might buy a Mac at home if only the Mac weaknesses were addressed. And with a $40 billion treasure chest, what is keeping Apple from hiring talented programmers and helping selected third-party developers to close the gap between Mac OS X and Windows 7?

Windows 7 is certainly a good operating system. The reason is it is is because Microsoft CLOSED the gap between it and OS X by basically making it look and work MORE like OS X. Not the other way around. If you can see that the new task bar is like a Dock then something is wrong with you.

Quote:

If that's the case then good riddance!

Quote:

Exactly why Microsoft Stole OS X and marketed it as Windows 7.. because Apple has clearly been Complacent. Microsoft, Pro-Tools, Adobe, even Sony All copy one company.. Apple. There's a reason for that. Apple is the one that hasn't been complacent. If you honestly have been using Apple, then you clearly haven't been using it for long or are too proud to ask someone a simple.. how can you do this? or is there a way to do this? That's what these forums are for.