A minor annoyance: screen darkening on inactivity

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
It doesn't bother ME, but mi esposa finds it quite annoying, so I'd like to help her. It doesn't show up in Preferences (e.g., Appearance, Desktop, Displays, Energy Saver...) that I can see, so I'm begging for your help:

The screen darkens after a few moments of inactivity. It lightens, of course, upon a mere touch of the trackpad. But the darkening (for mi esposa) often interrupts reading of, for example, a screen's worth of a long magazine article, or viewing of a longish video. I'd like to adjust (upward) the amount of time before the screen darkens.

FWIW, MBP, 10.6.2, happens even when plugged in, energy saver set to 10 minutes screen sleep

Hint?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Energy Saver > Power Adapter Tab > "Automatically reduce brightness before display goes to sleep" checkbox -- uncheck it.

Energy Saver > Battery Tab > "Automatically reduce brightness before display goes to sleep" checkbox -- uncheck it.

That option is in BOTH tabs. It doesn't have an adjustable time limit, it's all or nothing.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    fjpoblamfjpoblam Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Energy Saver > Power Adapter Tab > "Automatically reduce brightness before display goes to sleep" checkbox -- uncheck it.

Energy Saver > Battery Tab > "Automatically reduce brightness before display goes to sleep" checkbox -- uncheck it.

That option is in BOTH tabs. It doesn't have an adjustable time limit, it's all or nothing.

Your solution, of course, is right on.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Neat little program called Caffeine, allows you to keep the machine from falling asleep/screen dimming from the Finder.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Neat little program called Caffeine, allows you to keep the machine from falling asleep/screen dimming from the Finder.

Caffeine is also quite handy when your MacBook is in the middle of processing/rendering a job, or downloading a big file, while you want to close the lid. Normally your MacBook stops processing and/or downloading, and goes to 'sleep' when you close the lid. With Caffeine the MacBook doesn't go to sleep when you do that, and continues its processes (with closed lid).

So DON'T use Caffeine when your MacBook is on battery power! It will drain your battery before you know it.

Get Caffeine here.