Superdrive (as standard)

4 PCI 2 slots

AGP 8 slot

19" LCD

A roadmap that indicated a 50% power performance increase per year

All in a beautifully designed tower case for $3500

An OS that had a more funky but clearly Mac OS 9 interface feel

No CLI or file extensions

Could run Mac software out of the box under emulation 4 times faster than any apple offering

Protected memeory etc.

Feels like a mac, behaves like a mac and gives the user total control

All in a beautifully designed tower case for $3500

But . . .

It wasn't an apple, wasn't made by apple and didn't have the mac name,

would you switch?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    Sure, if they had a lower priced version
  • Reply 1 of 50
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    would I get a cookie with it? then i'd switch.
  • Reply 3 of 50
    If I didn't have to "re-up" on all my software and the performance you state is demonstrable, I would drop the Apple brand in a heartbeat.
  • Reply 3 of 50
    No.
  • Reply 5 of 50
    gustavgustav Posts: 828member
    Yes, but I would take that "feels like a mac, behaves like a Mac" literally. I would want a 100% money-back guarantee if I didn't like it, and a lower price. $3500 US is a lot of money (especially to a Canadian)

Actually if it "feels better than a Mac, behaves better than a Mac" I would switch too. But I get to be the judge if it feels and behaves better.
  • Reply 6 of 50
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    tell me where I can get it, and I'll tell you if I switched.

Sounds to me like you're summing up PowerPC emulation on a dual Athlon XP3000, which should be here by the end of the year?
  • Reply 7 of 50
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    sorry about the price thing. I'm having trouble with the whole bg pounds to dollars thng (a dual 800 G4 with a monitor and a decent (!) amount of RAM etc would set you back around 4500 gbpounds! - what's that? about $6000?!!!)

OK, suppose they were able to offer it for $2000

and you could run your current software unaltered. Suppose that the system had the same metaphor as OS 9?

would you switch?
  • Reply 8 of 50
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    [quote]Originally posted by MarcUK:

<strong>Sounds to me like you're summing up PowerPC emulation on a dual Athlon XP3000, which should be here by the end of the year?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree--sounds like a sales pitch. What's the OS, Linux with a Mac-like window manager? Or is Windows XP "more funky but clearly Mac OS 9 interface feel"?
  • Reply 9 of 50
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    What I'd like to know people...At what point does the disparity between macs and PC's become great enough to make you switch to Wintel dispite its misgivings?
  • Reply 10 of 50
    No pitch at all folks. I'm a long time mac addict (although my workplace will probably never buy another - they feel very financially burned as a college given the cost of the 50 or so G4s and their lack of modern replacements - Hey, I'm just the guy who uses 'em, some f**cked up windows IT morons actually buy them -)

The OS would be a brand new OS not a derivative of anything else.

I'm just wondering if, now that apple don't make any kick ass machines (and probably never will), is there a gap in the market for someone to step in with systems that are Macs in all but name?

And what would this mean to apple if it wereat all possible?

Would you switch?
  • Reply 10 of 50
    spotbugspotbug Posts: 361member
    Put OS X on there and I'd switch.

I'm guessing this is some Wintel configuration and not a dream Mac. If I could get OS X on a Wintel machine, I'd build my own.

Simply having a GUI that's similar to MacOS's on a super-fast machine (like a dual Athlon) isn't going to pull people away from their Macs (well, duh). Personally, I look at the entire package - hardware and software.
  • Reply 10 of 50
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Am I the only one who doesn't see the point of this thread? :confused: Buf if this is just a game kinda like; would you swithch your current isp if I could offer you T3 wireless access for $89.00 per month? Then okay I'll play...

I use the Mac because I liked OS 9 better than WinXX now that I'm on OS X getting me to move would be even more difficult than before.

Dave
  • Reply 13 of 50
    That's not what I mean. Imagine the G4 (or whatever) in front of you then imagine it in the coolest case mock up you've seen. then turn it on (complete with new sexy starup chime) and start using it like OS 9 - knowing that all your software works as before. The onlt dif would be the hardware inside it which as I've said is effectively mac (just the way macs are made - not like a PC) just not apple.

You just render faster, FCP, Photoshop effects etc are totally realtime, DVD burning at 10x, etc.

would you switch?
  • Reply 14 of 50
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    [quote]Originally posted by spooky:

<strong>That's not what I mean. Imagine the G4 (or whatever) in front of you then imagine it in the coolest case mock up you've seen. then turn it on (complete with new sexy starup chime) and start using it like OS 9 - knowing that all your software works as before. The onlt dif would be the hardware inside it which as I've said is effectively mac (just the way macs are made - not like a PC) just not apple.

You just render faster, FCP, Photoshop effects etc are totally realtime, DVD burning at 10x, etc.

would you switch?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Will this or won't this run Mac OS X? I don't wanna hear 'just like OS 9' I wanna hear "Apple's OS X" most/all of us Mac users are with Apple due to the OS - Apple has (almost) never been #1 when it comes to bleeding edge buzword compliant stuff but the OS Apple provies are just too good to walk away from just for DDR and a couple of dozen PCI slots (silly thing is 99% of the G4 tower PCI slots go unused).

Dave
  • Reply 15 of 50
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Nope.
  • Reply 16 of 50
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    OS 9? Nope. I'm OS X all the way.

The rest is such a pipe dream that I have trouble answering it.
  • Reply 17 of 50
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I'll never switch. I bleed Aqua.

How do you like THAT?
  • Reply 18 of 50
    OK, lets say it runs OS X (although in the real world it have to be an X clone or apple would sue the crap out of it)

would you switch?
  • Reply 19 of 50
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    You still sound like you're fishing for something. Why are you asking this? Are you trying to determine whether people like Apple software more than Apple hardware?
  • Reply 20 of 50
    "I'd rather fight than switch."