Apples Policy regarding Epilepsy

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
hi guys im hoping to apply for a job in apple but have suffered from epilepsy in the past but havent had a seizure for 8-10 yrs would this effect my chances of getting a job with apple?

I know the law would be on my side but ive heard employers find other reasons not to give a job to a certain applicant

Any info would be appreciated guys

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    I'm not a lawyer, nor work in HR, but I don't think you need to reveal your medical history on a job application or during a job interview. How would they know you suffer(ed) from epilepsy? And why would you tell them?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I'm not a lawyer, nor work in HR, but I don't think you need to reveal your medical history on a job application or during a job interview. How would they know you suffer(ed) from epilepsy? And why would you tell them?

Thanks for the reply I know i could hide it but I dont wanna jeapourdise my chances by hiding something or am i being too honest? cheers
  • Reply 3 of 7
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Your epilepsy is part of your medical history. As far as I know, that is no one's business but your own. It is not something you are hiding, its just not relevant.

There may be some exceptions for very specific jobs, but seeing as this is for Apple, I think you're OK.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Your epilepsy is part of your medical history. As far as I know, that is no one's business but your own. It is not something you are hiding, its just not relevant.

There may be some exceptions for very specific jobs, but seeing as this is for Apple, I think you're OK.

Thanks Jupiter thats reassuring to hear,i drive have worked in many high risk jobs ,and would hate for an old illness to mess this up for me many thanks guys !!!!!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    If it's not related to the job then they can't ask. Are you in the US because the laws are different everyplace?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    My friend suffers from Epilepsy... From discussions with him, you shouldn't disclose anything...
  • Reply 7 of 7
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    For a huge company like Apple, your medical conditions (provided it doesn't impede your ability to do your job) would probably not come up and you would not be required to disclose it. However, if you were seeking employment with a small company with a small group medical plan, then I believe they certainly could ask because their health insurance carrier would insist on knowing.