White Stains on Macbook Pro 13 Inch

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
This is an issue I'm starting to notice on my 10 month old Macbook Pro 13 inch.



There's this "white stain" on both palm rests of the MBP. Here's some sample pictures:



http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/1350/sample1i.jpg

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/6863/sample2z.jpg



It cannot be cleaned off by wiping it, water, rubbing alcohol, etc.



Note that I clean my MBP daily, even hourly, I always wash my hands and dry them before using this laptop, therefore, I know it's not a matter of sanitation.



Does anyone else experience this issue? If you do, why is this happening?



Thanks!

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 7
    Looks like you polished the aluminum with your palms. I don't think you have to clean your mac that often. You probably are smoothing out the natural roughness of the aluminum.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darkjedi View Post


    Looks like you polished the aluminum with your palms. I don't think you have to clean your mac that often. You probably are smoothing out the natural roughness of the aluminum.



    The aluminum can't be polished, it's painted. Or perhaps sandblasted.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    The aluminum can't be polished, it's painted. Or perhaps sandblasted.



    It's not painted. And with enough rubbing, it most certainly can develop smooth, polished areas. The fact that he cleans it every day is most likely the source of the problem.



    The Titanium PowerBook was the last one that used painted metal. Thank God.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post


    It's not painted. And with enough rubbing, it most certainly can develop smooth, polished areas.



    That doesn't prove it's not painted. The shine could be his skin oils reacting with the paint. But yeah, they are probably sandblasted for the effect we see on them.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post


    The fact that he cleans it every day is most likely the source of the problem.



    I'd say the real source is the fact that he doesn't wash his hands before using the laptop. I do, each and every time. And I clean my Air once a week so it says completely clean and new looking.



    I'd be interested to know what he uses on it to clean it. Sounds like skin oils of greasy hands to me, they contain mild acids. If you're hands were clean you'd never have this problem.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    frnakfrnak Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    That doesn't prove it's not painted. The shine could be his skin oils reacting with the paint. But yeah, they are probably sandblasted for the effect we see on them.





    I'd say the real source is the fact that he doesn't wash his hands before using the laptop. I do, each and every time. And I clean my Air once a week so it says completely clean and new looking.



    I'd be interested to know what he uses on it to clean it. Sounds like skin oils of greasy hands to me, they contain mild acids. If you're hands were clean you'd never have this problem.



    That makes sense actually, maybe by cleaning it too much, I scrapped off the layer of Aluminum. But I thought the whole thing is a block of aluminum...



    I can assure you tho, that I do wash my hand every time I use the computer, as described in the first post.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    That doesn't prove it's not painted. The shine could be his skin oils reacting with the paint. But yeah, they are probably sandblasted for the effect we see on them.



    Ireland, I don't have to "prove" it's not painted. It's not painted. That's a fact. It is solid aluminum with its natural finish, and as you say, probably sandblasted for texture. This can easily be tested by gouging the aluminum with a sharp object. All you have to do is try it on your own Air to test it. If you do it and can prove it's paint I'll give you $100.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Hi



    I have the same problem, even though of daily cleaning. Even on a couple of my buttons there are one or two stains from the screen cleaning solutions, that leave light stains. Is there a polish that can be used that won't damage the surface. I tried Cleen Green as recommended by Apple, helped a little bit.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frnak View Post


    This is an issue I'm starting to notice on my 10 month old Macbook Pro 13 inch.



    There's this "white stain" on both palm rests of the MBP. Here's some sample pictures:



    http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/1350/sample1i.jpg

    http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/6863/sample2z.jpg



    It cannot be cleaned off by wiping it, water, rubbing alcohol, etc.



    Note that I clean my MBP daily, even hourly, I always wash my hands and dry them before using this laptop, therefore, I know it's not a matter of sanitation.



    Does anyone else experience this issue? If you do, why is this happening?



    Thanks!



Sign In or Register to comment.