Using a wireless keyboard with an iMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've been using the wireless keyboard to the new iMad for a couple of weeks now and I don't seem to be acclimating to it very well. When held next to a full size keyboard, it is the same size; however, it doesn't seem to be when I'm typing. I keep missing keys or striking the wrong keys.

The short stroke of the keys is disconcerting.

I miss the number pad and the home, end, and other keys under the (old) F13, F14, and F15 keys. The lack of numbering of the Function keys is also a pain. Having to use the fn with other keys is a pain too.

I can't seem to get used to the size and position of the arrow keys. I miss having a specific delete key. Having to use the fn with backspace is irritating.

Bitch bitch bitch!

Why do I continue to use it? Novelty, I guess. Anyway, what I'd like to know is if any of you guys started out the same way and eventually actually like it better than the old style keyboard?

Should I continue trying or just say fuggit and buy a wired keyboard.? You needn't answer that. That's a rhetorical question.

I realize that a laptop has the same idiosyncrasies and everyone gets used to them.

I DO like the new mouse, but I still prefer the 8 button Logitech. If the new mouse only had a back button, I'd find it more to my liking.

Bitch bitch bitch!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

If the new mouse only had a back button, I'd find it more to my liking.

Just install Better Touch Tool and by using gestures, you can have a back button, an Exposé button, a Dashboard button, a Spaces button, a next tab button, a previous tab button, a zoom up button, a zoom down button and whatever your heart desires. And it's not hard to configure in a way that it will be easy for you to use, even with all of those options enabled.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Just install Better Touch Tool and by using gestures, you can have a back button, an Exposé button, a Dashboard button, a Spaces button, a next tab button, a previous tab button, a zoom up button, a zoom down button and whatever your heart desires. And it's not hard to configure in a way that it will be easy for you to use, even with all of those options enabled.

I've been trying to get BTT to work, but no joy. After going through the procedure, I check it out with "Show Live View" and it works there, but when I try it in practice, it doesn't do anything. What am I doing wrong? There is no "OKay" button or anything I see to 'set' it.

Thanks
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I've been trying to get BTT to work, but no joy. After going through the procedure, I check it out with "Show Live View" and it works there, but when I try it in practice, it doesn't do anything. What am I doing wrong? There is no "OKay" button or anything I see to 'set' it.

Thanks

It installs a menubar icon. There is no app icon. Perhaps you're looking in the wrong place?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

It installs a menubar icon. There is no app icon. Perhaps you're looking in the wrong place?

Yes, I'm aware of the menubar icon and use it. Everything seems good to go except it doesn't.

Setup is fine. "Show Live View" shows everything fine. Still doesn't work. Any other suggestion?

Don't be concerned. Not your problem. I'll keep trying.