Office 2008

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am ready to pull my hair out.

I have been writing a report and suddenly the line count in the Status Bar disappeared. In trying to find a way to bring it back, somehow i pushed or pulled something that turned words red and drew lines threw them. Trying to delete those words only made matters worse, The more i try to get rid of them, the bigger the problem gets.

Word Help is NO help. More of a hindrance. Can I get some AI help to:

1. Get the Status Bar line count back

2. Get rid of the @#$$$##@@#$ red words and crossed out red words. I don't want to have to rewrite this whole d_____ed report. Damn MS; Damn Office 2008.

Thank you, that went well.

Did I tell you that I hate Office 2008; that I hate MS; that I hate Bill Gates; that I hate Redmond?

Edit: Found the reason words turned red. The Track Changes icon on the Status Bar was on. Still haven't found how to get the Status Bar Line Count back.

Did I tell you I hate MS? Well, I still do. Probably someone on AI is going to stick up for them. Just don't tell me. I hate them.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    If you have Pages, try opening the file with it. If not, download the free trial and do it. Then if you want to continue working in word, just export the file to word and you can start again. (you might try a paste special if its real bad)

I fix crappy word files all the time with Pages.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Use Pages. Seriously. It's a breath of fresh air. Unless you absolutely, positively need the advanced functions of Word (which a lot of people will never use.)
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I am ready to pull my hair out.

I have been writing a report and suddenly the line count in the Status Bar disappeared. In trying to find a way to bring it back, somehow i pushed or pulled something that turned words red and drew lines threw them. Trying to delete those words only made matters worse, The more i try to get rid of them, the bigger the problem gets.

Word Help is NO help. More of a hindrance. Can I get some AI help to:

1. Get the Status Bar line count back

2. Get rid of the @#$$$##@@#$ red words and crossed out red words. I don't want to have to rewrite this whole d_____ed report. Damn MS; Damn Office 2008.

Thank you, that went well.

Did I tell you that I hate Office 2008; that I hate MS; that I hate Bill Gates; that I hate Redmond?

Edit: Found the reason words turned red. The Track Changes icon on the Status Bar was on. Still haven't found how to get the Status Bar Line Count back.

Did I tell you I hate MS? Well, I still do. Probably someone on AI is going to stick up for them. Just don't tell me. I hate them.

So don't use it.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

So don't use it.

Great advice! Now, why didn't I think of that?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    The view preferences should have that option - Word menu > preferences > View > Window > Live Word count:

http://grok.lsu.edu/Mobile/viewimage.aspx?imageid=8358
  • Reply 6 of 6
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The view preferences should have that option - Word menu > preferences > View > Window > Live Word count:

http://grok.lsu.edu/Mobile/viewimage.aspx?imageid=8358

Unfortunately, that doesn't create a "line count" in the Status Bar. Word count, page count, but not line count.

line count was there until a few days ago and then just vanished. ??????

Thanks,