Switching to Windows.

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
So I've been an Apple user for a long time. Recently, I started working as an architect and was forced to use tools like AutoCAD and 3DS Max. I attempted to run them on my MacBook Pro with Parallels but kept getting errors and most recently suffered a crash that wiped out a fairly important project!

That was the last straw- about 6 months ago I bought a ThinkPad T400. Having not used Windows since XP I was actually pleasantly surprised with the performance and some of the features. I missed some of what OSX had to offer, but overall it's not bad. Some programs (like Adium), will be sorely missed

Other things, like the ThinkPad hardware- are simply fantastic. The keyboard and red dot (the mouse) will make it very hard to switch back. The screen was better on my MBP.

I just wanted to make this post here, because I often read about people switching to Apple, but not the other way around. I have to say, it's not that bad. I haven't had a virus or one crash in 6 months.

This isn't meant to get anyone upset- I just wanted to share my unbiased opinion. I'll miss OSX, but think that the Lenovo/Windows package im running now is overall better.

Hopefully this will force Apple to improve. I'm certainly not against switching back as I've had years of good experience with Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by canarsieville View Post

So I've been an Apple user for a long time. Recently, I started working as an architect and was forced to use tools like AutoCAD and 3DS Max. I attempted to run them on my MacBook Pro with Parallels but kept getting errors and most recently suffered a crash that wiped out a fairly important project!

CAD has always been a shortcoming of the Mac Platform there is no doubt there. As to crashes wiping out projects I have two points.

One is that there are solutions other than Parallels for running Windows. Besides there is nothing to say that your virtualized environment caused the problem.

Second if you loose all data that is your fault. Highly important projects need frequent backups.

Quote:

That was the last straw- about 6 months ago I bought a ThinkPad T400. Having not used Windows since XP I was actually pleasantly surprised with the performance and some of the features. I missed some of what OSX had to offer, but overall it's not bad. Some programs (like Adium), will be sorely missed

This is no longer a one or the other world you can use both OSes and not have to worry about loosing anything. This in fact kinda boggles my mind that you think this way.

Quote:

Other things, like the ThinkPad hardware- are simply fantastic. The keyboard and red dot (the mouse) will make it very hard to switch back. The screen was better on my MBP.

I actually find track pads to be very frustrating at times. One little tap from a thumb and you end up writing in another document. So I don't disagree with you one bit about the little red nub. On the otherhand Apple multi touch track pads can be wonderful for navigating documents. Sometimes you need to compromise and use an external keyboard.

Quote:

I just wanted to make this post here, because I often read about people switching to Apple, but not the other way around. I have to say, it's not that bad. I haven't had a virus or one crash in 6 months.

The lack of crashes and virii are directly related to how you use the machine. The big problem on older machines is that virus and maware blocking software eats up a good portion of your performance.

Quote:

This isn't meant to get anyone upset- I just wanted to share my unbiased opinion. I'll miss OSX, but think that the Lenovo/Windows package im running now is overall better.

Like it or not your position is biased just as is mine. I have a lot if Linux experience and would end up with a different hardware opinion if I where to install that on various laptops.

Quote:

Hopefully this will force Apple to improve. I'm certainly not against switching back as I've had years of good experience with Apple.

You are not likely to switch back as long as Autocad remains significant in your life. The Mack of native CAD software really hurts Apple a lot in the various professions that need it. I'm more concerned about more advanced software that is replacing Autocad. Around here that is SolidWorks.

To be honest I think it is about time for Apple to take some of that cash and either contract for a native SolidWorks or just buy the company outright. Plus they need to do more to promote those vendors with CAD software on the Mac now. Be it Mechanical, Electrical or something in between Apple needs more exposure in these fields.

Apple can't expect a harvest without first sowing a seed.

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

The trackpoint is *awesome*, way better than a trackpad. It's my favorite feature on my Thinkpad, which was hackintoshed for about a year.

XP is pretty bad - the performance isn't there, and it gets bogged down and slow after a short amount of time. Windows 7 has treated me very well so far.

Unfortunately, I think the Windows UI is horribly broken, and it's damn near impossible to find applications that are anywhere near as good as the ones in OS X land (as you note with Adium -- the Windows alternatives, Pidgin, Trillian, Meebo, everything I've tried is miserable). Plus, having real unix tools is not optional for my job; using terminal emulators like SecureCRT or putty is just a joke.

No shame in using what works best for you, but do yourself a favor and check out Windows 7, I think you'll be much happier.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    Quote:

Perhaps it was a early version of Parallels, I find VM Fusion more stable.

Also it could be that AutoCAD and 3DS Max need direct access to hardware to speed up certain things. OS X doesn't allow that, unlike Windows, it's been the bane of Mac 3D gaming for years.

Also VM software doesn't work too well with anything that needs performance, like 3D stuff and games.

Quote:

Leveno asked it's customers if they wanted glossy or matte and 86% chose matte so they make matte screens which are viewable in nearly any environment, unlike glossy screens. And a new machine seems to have a better display next to a tired and old one for some reason.

Quote:

Well I had a XP client say that too until I asked him if he ran anti-virus and he said no. So I checked his machine and it was indeed running anti-virus, but by a botnet.

Quote:

Sorry you didn't give Bootcamp a try, that should have solved the AutoCAD and 3DS Max issue as you direct boot into Windows.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/compatibility/#windowsvideo

Should have asked around first before jumping ship. Oh well, you can always come back.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

That was the last straw- about 6 months ago I bought a ThinkPad T400.

I don't understand this logic but I hear it a lot. To switch to Windows, you don't need to buy a PC. You can simply partition your drive and install Windows.

Quote:

Having not used Windows since XP I was actually pleasantly surprised with the performance and some of the features.

I find that with Windows too. The UI annoys me and the popups, slow startup and various other things but it runs quickly when it's up and I luckily haven't had any viruses but I mainly use it for offline content.

BUT, this is all running on my Mac natively - VMs are ok for quick things but not to rely on for work. You absolutely need Bootcamp for this.

Quote:

The problems you described are nothing Apple can fix. If Autodesk would make native versions like they do for Maya, things would be easier.

You could perhaps have gone with Maya or Cinema 4D + VRay and Vectorworks. I know the popular choice is AutoCAD + 3DS but really it's down to results. In the end you are simply trying to get a job done and the tools you use don't matter.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

That was the last straw- about 6 months ago I bought a ThinkPad T400.

As Wizard has already said, why didn't you just use Windows via Bootcamp? Sure your new Thinkpad gave you increased performance.... we have no idea how old your MacBook is.

It's very kind of you to take the effort to join this forum and give us 'your story' but I am a little curious as to why you didn't join earlier and try and get some help with your Mac/Windows/Cad problems.

Basically, I'm a cynical old bastard and I suspect that you won't be making a second post.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Basically, I'm a cynical old bastard and I suspect that you won't be making a second post.

Nothing cynical about it. The OP claims claims that he came here to tell us that he wants Apple to improve. This was his first post on this forum and it came six months after he switched to Windows. The technical term for a poster like him is troll.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    molochmoloch Posts: 46member
    It's all relative.

I recently sold my Thinkpad T500 and said nevermore to Windows and Linux.

And yet I am sure I will continue to use them both ... but on Apple hardware.

I've been using computers for far too long to not have hardware and software that I can enjoy...

That said, the sales people at Apple stores are really creepy. I've put off going to Macs for years specifically because of them and their arrogance.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,424member
    Flamebait

This thread is done.