Buying used Mac OS -- legit or not?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Forgive me if there is an existing thread on this topic -- I've looked without success.

Are there reasons not to buy used, original-disc copies of discontinued Mac OS X software from an auction site (I'm thinking of a copy of Tiger for my modified 'hobby' G4)?

The only concern I can see would be in the situation where the seller is unscrupulously still using an installation from the discs on an active computer -- it might well pop up on Apple's radar if two computers running the same copy of, say, Tiger, logged into Software Update.

Does Apple care?

I would buy a new copy from Apple if they hadn't discontinued it, understandably enough.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Apple would never know, as their software does not contain "serial numbers".

It is the SELLERS responsibility to quit using any of their installations... you assume when you buy it that they will quit.

So, buying the discs presents no ethical problems for you. And if the previous owner(s) are unscrupulous, there's no way for Apple to punish you (or them.)
  • Reply 2 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Angus McCallum View Post

The only concern I can see would be in the situation where the seller is unscrupulously still using an installation from the discs on an active computer -- it might well pop up on Apple's radar if two computers running the same copy of, say, Tiger, logged into Software Update.

MacOS and MacOS X are not serialized nor do they have activation codes of any kind. Apple software is protected by its EULA, not by codes--secret or otherwise. If your seller removes his old installation of the your OS, then everything should be fine.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    westywesty Posts: 1member
    Hi,

Just wondering about OSX Server.

I've just bought a Mac Mini Server from eBay, and have wiped it to reinstall with raid 1.

I go through the installation process fine, using remote installation from my MBP, but when it has everything it needs it "fails to set serial number".

I'm sure I've typed it in correctly, and have been through the process several times.

Guessing I need to ring Apple, but thought I'd ask here first.

Cheers,

Westy
  • Reply 4 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Westy View Post

Hi,

Just wondering about OSX Server.

Clearly, MacOS X Server is handled differently than MacOS X. Rather than spending extra money on this specialized OS, you might be better served by asking for help setting up MacOS X to do what you want.