ipad applications share

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
I have had an iPhone for some time. Considering getting the iPad when it comes out. The one thing I have not seen is will the applications I purchased be able to be used with my account on the iPad or would I need to purchase all new apps?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by finnlad View Post

I have had an iPhone for some time. Considering getting the iPad when it comes out. The one thing I have not seen is will the applications I purchased be able to be used with my account on the iPad or would I need to purchase all new apps?

All (or the vast majority, allowing for some hardware differences like no camera, etc.) iPhone/Touch apps will run on the iPad out of the box.

However, given the screen res differences, they will either run "window boxed" (small area within the larger screen) or "pixel doubled" (simple, non-interpolating up-res). Depending on the app, pixel doubling will either be satisfactory or too ugly to bother with.

Developers are hard at work on iPad versions of their apps, which take full advantage of the increased screen real estate; some of them will offer free or discounted pricing if you already have the iPhone version.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,295member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

...some of them will offer free or discounted pricing if you already have the iPhone version.

I have not heard of this before. There is no upgrade pricing for the App store, so how would such a mechanism work?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Yes, all the apps are tied to your iTunes account, not your iPhone. Once you plug in your iPad it will authorize for your iTunes account and all your apps will work on both devices.