Many Tricks - Paddock. You want multitasking you got it

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Wow. And note, this is just straight up replacing a lot of Apple designed functionality, so maybe we can stop worrying quite so much about Apple's "iron fisted control."

The demo video didn't mention it, but it would be great if there were an export or send to option for moving stuff to Apple apps like email or Pages. Actually, I guess the way that would work would be to save in formats readable by those programs, so that they would give you the option with the "open with" command.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    There's a program out already that does all of this. It's nothing special. Basically, what you get is abunch of little widget-like utilities like those in AppBox Pro -- battery meter, calculator, unit converter, etc., plus a web browser. You can run those widgets and the web browser and interact between them.

What this cannot do is interact in any way except sharing a web link with any of the other apps on the iPad.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    The one thing I like about it is the browser tabs. I find Apple's way much slower. I just want to tap a tab and be right there, not zoom out to thumb-nail view, pick a picture and zoom back in. If you copy paste between web pages, the tabs are way quicker.

If they offered server-side compression like Opera and the ability to not load images, that would help greatly, especially on 2G. That network is soooo slow.

The multi-tasking is interesting but just multiple threads inside one program, not separate programs. It'll probably have an RSS feeder, facebook widget or whatever.

I don't think in-app multi-tasking is going to be needed - Apple have hinted they are working on multi-tasking.