how do i share an external HD on my network

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
what i have:

a 500gb desktop imac 24" in my office (at home)

a 500 gb desktop imac in the basement

an airport exterme router

1 lacie 1tb ethernet Hd

2 lacie 1 tb usb HD (used for time machine back up for each desktop)

both desktops are hardwired to the router

the situation is this...i have less than 25gb left on my office desktop mainly due to a large amount of digital photographs(iphoto) & home videos(imovies)...the ethernet hd was specially purchased on the advice of the "genuis" guy at my local apple store, i would like to set up my iphoto & imovie programs to store all present & future data on the 1 tb HD and be able to access the data on either desktop...so far nothing is working at all.

does anyone have any ideas suggestions that may help, i am running out of space...thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bubba622 View Post

what i have:

a 500gb desktop imac 24" in my office (at home)

a 500 gb desktop imac in the basement

an airport exterme router

1 lacie 1tb ethernet Hd

2 lacie 1 tb usb HD (used for time machine back up for each desktop)

both desktops are hardwired to the router

the situation is this...i have less than 25gb left on my office desktop mainly due to a large amount of digital photographs(iphoto) & home videos(imovies)...the ethernet hd was specially purchased on the advice of the "genuis" guy at my local apple store, i would like to set up my iphoto & imovie programs to store all present & future data on the 1 tb HD and be able to access the data on either desktop...so far nothing is working at all.

does anyone have any ideas suggestions that may help, i am running out of space...thanks

What I know is this. I just asked the local apple store GB the same. I asked about getting Time Cap to see if it could do what you asked in your question. All I know after an 1.5 hours is that TC and/or a ex HD are VERY slow on their transfer rates and it would probably drive you nuts. What i plan to do is two fold. 1st I am getting Time Cap because I would like to automatically BU our macs. Then i am going to take the current Ex HD and use it as an expanded storage area to free up space on the imac. Our macbook will back itself up on the TC.

All this said, part of my issue is that my wife and I have A LOT of double files. itunes, imovie, iphoto. THis will take some real work but I plan on making most of this a shared folder thus getting rid of some of the stuff i have doubles of.

Bottom line, it would be great if APPLE can do a better job at a home server or media server. For now, all I have found is 500GB mac mini that would not cut it for us.