iPad in non ATT service area

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Hi! First time poster here, but a long and very appreciative reader of AppleInsider!! I am a college student extremely interested in the iPad. Just held and played with one today for the first time! But, I am interested in the 3G model on account of when I work this summer, I want to be able to have internet accessibility. The problem I have been wondering about, is where I currently go to college ATT is currently NOT in the area... They have none of their own towers, they bum off of other towers (possibly Altel towers???). So I am just wondering if the iPad will even WORK without any ATT towers since the iPad is "3G." Back home and where I work, it is not 3G but there are ATT towers so I know it will work..I currently do not have an iPhone on account of being a Verizon customer, but I love my blackberry and always said I just wanted the features of the iPhone without the cell phone,, maybe the iPad is just what I'm looking for. If ANYone has ANY input or knowing of ATT and their towers it would help tremendously!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaker999 View Post

Hi! First time poster here, but a long and very appreciative reader of AppleInsider!! I am a college student extremely interested in the iPad. Just held and played with one today for the first time! But, I am interested in the 3G model on account of when I work this summer, I want to be able to have internet accessibility. The problem I have been wondering about, is where I currently go to college ATT is currently NOT in the area... They have none of their own towers, they bum off of other towers (possibly Altel towers???). So I am just wondering if the iPad will even WORK without any ATT towers since the iPad is "3G." Back home and where I work, it is not 3G but there are ATT towers so I know it will work..I currently do not have an iPhone on account of being a Verizon customer, but I love my blackberry and always said I just wanted the features of the iPhone without the cell phone,, maybe the iPad is just what I'm looking for. If ANYone has ANY input or knowing of ATT and their towers it would help tremendously!

Simple. Just get the WiFi iPad and a 3G router, like Sprint's new 4G doodad or other available "MyFi"-like products. The only advantage of the 3G iPad in this context is true GPS instead of WiFi triangulation. For $130. Seems a no-brainer to me.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaker999 View Post

.... They have none of their own towers, they bum off of other towers (possibly Altel towers???). ...

All·Tel is owned by Verizon.