iPhone OS 4 Preview Today....What Will Be At WWDC?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Anyone else find it interesting that they take the hats off of iPhone OS 4 today and not at WWDC?



This leads me to believe that Mac OS 10.7 will be previewed at WWDC and it will be a big deal.



Anyone else with me?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,219moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post


    Anyone else find it interesting that they take the hats off of iPhone OS 4 today and not at WWDC?



    This leads me to believe that Mac OS 10.7 will be previewed at WWDC and it will be a big deal.



    Anyone else with me?



    I'm kind of thinking the opposite. 10.6 doesn't really seem to be lacking in anything and we're only just at 10.6.3. Apple also hinted at slowing down the OS X versions last time.



    This all suggests that iPhone OS 4 is scheduled for WWDC so that there's something to talk about.



    iPhone OS may well be the future for Apple even on the desktop. Imagine one day being able to slide the iMac down like an architect's drafting table and touch everything.



    Obviously rather than it being a replacement, it would be a convergence but focus needs to be on improving the iPhone OS to get there.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    I surely hope iPhone OS does not take over the Mac OS.



    I love both platforms equally but surely not merged into one.



    I could see Apple bringing over a lot of features from the iPhone too the Mac OS.



    From a developer stand point, it should already be easy enough to port over applications from iPhone to Mac OS and I am shocked there has not been more of this happening.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    gizmo-xlgizmo-xl Posts: 141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post


    I surely hope iPhone OS does not take over the Mac OS.



    I love both platforms equally but surely not merged into one.



    I could see Apple bringing over a lot of features from the iPhone too the Mac OS.



    From a developer stand point, it should already be easy enough to port over applications from iPhone to Mac OS and I am shocked there has not been more of this happening.



    I agree Frenman... I think once the iPad application number increases they may find a path to the iMac because this would increase the number of application to the desktop and make a seemless product line for them.



    I am sure this would increase the iMac's/Macbooks share of the market.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    jlljll Posts: 2,709member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post


    Anyone else find it interesting that they take the hats off of iPhone OS 4 today and not at WWDC?



    They did the same with OS 1, 2 and 3.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post


    I surely hope iPhone OS does not take over the Mac OS.



    I love both platforms equally but surely not merged into one.



    I could see Apple bringing over a lot of features from the iPhone too the Mac OS.



    From a developer stand point, it should already be easy enough to port over applications from iPhone to Mac OS and I am shocked there has not been more of this happening.



    I am not an expert, but point out that the iPhone OS has the UIKit (Touch), and the Mac OS X has the AppKit (mouse and keyboard). Yes, there has been some limited porting at the OS level.



    For example, some of Touch has shown up as the trackpad on Macs. VoiceOver originated on Mac OX 10.4 Tiger, and has shown up on the iPhone 3GS, 3rd-gen iPod Touch, and now the iPad. That means the alternative interface (VoiceOver) went from a keyboard orientation to a Touch orientation. Porting of user-interface apps must be done via available OS user-interface support.



    I would guess that the WWDC may have minor news on the iPhone OS since the iPhone OS 4 has already seen a preview. I would also guess that Mac OS X 10.7 will be more user-orientated than Mac OS X 10.6, which was under-the-hood orientated. However, I think there will be some additional system level re-working in OpenGL, OpenCL, and possibly resolution independence, and more I can't anticipate. At the app level, when will iLife become 64-bit?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    pbpb Posts: 4,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post


    Anyone else find it interesting that they take the hats off of iPhone OS 4 today and not at WWDC?



    This leads me to believe that Mac OS 10.7 will be previewed at WWDC and it will be a big deal.



    If this is to be believed, then there will be no 10.7 preview this year; it would rather go for WWDC 2011. My guess is that Apple will focus this year on the iPhone/iPad and that the Macintosh will receive some hardware updates always remaining under Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,268member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post


    If this is to be believed, then there will be no 10.7 preview this year; it would rather go for WWDC 2011. My guess is that Apple will focus this year on the iPhone/iPad and that the Macintosh will receive some hardware updates always remaining under Snow Leopard.



    I think we'll still get some info about 10.7 at WWDC though I realize that Apple could indeed skip it but somehow I don't think Mac developers would spend the coin to attend if WWDC 2010 is simply an iPhone/iPad conference.



    Apple could deliver a handful of "guaranteed" features and promise to have a Developer Preview Beta in January of 2011.



    I'm happy with Snow Leopard and it could easily last the next year for me but after that I'm going to be itching to get some more modern features (namely a robust top modern filesystem)



    I'd love to see Apple make it a lot easier to take Mac code and reuse it on iPhones. I presume they will head in this direction so that by iPhone OS 5 you're going to even better links between iPhone OS and Mac OS.



    We're seeing this now Grand Central Dispatch in iPhone OS 4



    I think there's going to be a lot of influence on both OS platforms coming in a bidirectional manner
  • Reply 8 of 8
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    I think we'll still get some info about 10.7 at WWDC though I realize that Apple could indeed skip it but somehow I don't think Mac developers would spend the coin to attend if WWDC 2010 is simply an iPhone/iPad conference.



    Apple could deliver a handful of "guaranteed" features and promise to have a Developer Preview Beta in January of 2011.



    I'm happy with Snow Leopard and it could easily last the next year for me but after that I'm going to be itching to get some more modern features (namely a robust top modern filesystem)



    I'd love to see Apple make it a lot easier to take Mac code and reuse it on iPhones. I presume they will head in this direction so that by iPhone OS 5 you're going to even better links between iPhone OS and Mac OS.



    We're seeing this now Grand Central Dispatch in iPhone OS 4



    I think there's going to be a lot of influence on both OS platforms coming in a bidirectional manner



    GCD in iPhone OS4? Thanks for link. To me, this implies that Apple has serious plans for multiple processors on their SoCs for their mobile devices. I agree, there should be more bi-directional influence between the OSs in the future. If I remember correctly, the iPhone 3GS has Voice Commands, and I've wondered if that function will be ported to the Mac OS.
Sign In or Register to comment.