iOS 4.0: The Other Stuff

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
So I'm looking at the slide from the keynote, the one with the overstuffed "SDK" box surrounded by text labels of "other stuff" that didn't necessarily make it into the presentation.

So this thread is to discuss a few of those: what we think they might be, how they might work, etc.

Two that jump out at me are "Quick Look" and "Image I/O."

Quick Look is obviously some variant on desktop finder behavior, but how might that be implemented on a phone? I'm guessing it's mostly for email attachments, and give you a full screen look at the document without having to launch its associated app?

And I'm not even sure what "Image I/O" might be-- maybe someone with some insight into the SDK might chime in here?

Oh, and there's a third: "Package based documents." Any thoughts on that? I also see that there's full access to still and video camera data, which is self explanatory but should lead to some interesting new apps.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

And I'm not even sure what "Image I/O" might be-- maybe someone with some insight into the SDK might chime in here?

Good question. Maybe something to do with printing. Perhaps printing draws to PDF then to a generic printer driver over WIFI or Bluetooth.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member

- Spell check (as reported separately on many blogs) looks good

- Choose Image Size in Mail - useful

- 5x digital zoom - surprises me - digital zoom is just so un-Apple to me.

- Create playlists - long overdue!

- Places - can't wait for this.

- Nike+ work-outs uploaded - I certainly recently ranted on apple.com/feedback at how the iPhone app needed to be clagged to USB to sync to the Nike+ site and this seems to be getting fixed.

- CardDAV???

- Birthday Calendar - don't understand how this differs from the iCal one which syncs anyhow???

- iPod Out????
  • Reply 3 of 9
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Somebody at MacRumors is doing a list of new features and has lots of images up.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=892839

All in all, there are lots of nice little additions that I was fine without, but happy to be getting, for free!
  • Reply 4 of 9
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    There is touch to focus in video cam mode now. Awesome. (IMO, 5x zoom is "more Apple" than adding an actual zoom lens and lets current owners benefit).

It appears in this nice short vid:

http://9to5mac.com/iPhone-4-video-walkthrough
  • Reply 5 of 9
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Actually, I was referencing this slide here:

which includes a bunch of stuff, a couple of which I mentioned, and which I haven't seen discussed yet
  • Reply 6 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    ICC profile support clearly looks made for an IPS screen and while it could just be for the iPad, the iPhone in Summer will get it first.

Date data detectors are cool - like what the Mac has when someone emails a date, you can turn it into an event in the calendar.

Accelerate framework will be good for drawing apps that need transforms.

Block-based animation probably for sprite-based games, maybe they have something for motion estimation in video capture.

Image I/O is just being able to open and save image types without having to include libraries yourself. So a 3rd party program can open RAW and save a JPEG or something.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Embed PDF Metadata -- could this include embedded fonts?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

which includes a bunch of stuff, a couple of which I mentioned, and which I haven't seen discussed yet

Sorry... The stuff I linked to was a bit different. Was (and still am) hoping, however, that they might get around to some of the stuff you are wondering about.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:

I have to say I don't understand a lot of this... But guess for a developer it opens up the possibilities.

I wonder how QuickLook will work, unless it's something like a single tap on image or file.

I think notifications (specifically aggregation of notifications) is what I'm really hoping will feature.