Canabalizing sales? Nah! Heres my "prediction"

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Alot of people are saying the iPad will canabalize ipod touch sales....or that people with an iphone won't get an ipad...but here is my prediction on why I think not.

Apple didn't include a front facing camera on the iPad. I think that was on purpose t

I predict that this summer/fall when the new iphone 4.0 software is released, Apple will also announce the new iphone and the new ipod touch.

It is my belief that the new iphone will come not only with its regular camera, but a FRONT facing camera for video chatting as well.

The ipod touch will not get a front facing camera, but it WILL get a camera similar to the one the iphone already had for taking pictures and video.

This way, there is more of a reason for people to get more than ONE of these products and will differentiate them from one another. Like, oh...the ipad is AWESOME, but I'd love to take pictures and video....so I'll get the ipod touch too. Or I have the ipod touch, but I'd LOVE to video chat, so I'll get the iphone too.

Eventually, I think all three of these will have front facing cameras, but for awhile, this will be a way to keep sales in all of these equally strong for some time to come.

Of course I don't know for sure, but the rumors I've read, and my gut, tell me that I am right. Um....or at least that I feel strongly about this being what will happen. :-)

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Peace,

Regan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,836moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

This way, there is more of a reason for people to get more than ONE of these products and will differentiate them from one another. Like, oh...the ipad is AWESOME, but I'd love to take pictures and video....so I'll get the ipod touch too. Or I have the ipod touch, but I'd LOVE to video chat, so I'll get the iphone too.

I think that overestimates the amount of disposable income most people have and would be willing to spend on redundant devices. I really doubt many people will have both an iPod Touch and an iPhone.

Also, the statement about the iPad being awesome and then getting an iPod Touch seems to be the wrong way round. 85 million people already have either an iPod Touch or an iPhone vs 450k iPads so it's more likely some of the 85 million have to make a decision about whether to even buy an iPad in the first place.

The next iPhone/iPod comes out in June. Right now, some people are going for the iPad but the 4th gen iPhone will easily be a million seller in the opening weekend just like the 3G and 3GS.

Better screen, mores storage, iPhone OS 4 four months ahead of the iPad, better camera. It will be expensive though - I'd estimate the 3GS will take the place of the 3G, which is currently on sale and the next one start at the price bracket above. This means that people will be saving up money now to be able to buy one in June or thereabouts rather than wasting money on a cool device they won't use nearly as much.