Has September 11 "distorted America's morality?"

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
We've had quite a few threads about the September 11 attacks, Afghanistan and the "War on Terror". So here's some further food for thought - an article in today's edition of national British newspaper The Independent:

America's morality has been distorted by 11 September

'It's as if all the lessons of history, in Afghanistan and the Middle East, have been tossed into a bin'

<a href="http://argument.independent.co.uk/commentators/story.jsp?story=271647"; target="_blank">http://argument.independent.co.uk/commentators/story.jsp?story=271647</A>;

The Blue Meanie makes no comment on the truth or otherwise of this journalist's claims, so please, no personal abuse

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I don't know what he wants to hear. The American Public does not have a voice per se. I abhor the murder of all people but it is a fact of life. Americans have enough issues stateside to become overly concerned about the happenings in the Middle East.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    He needs to remember Dunkirk.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    [quote]Originally posted by hmurchison:

<strong>The American Public does not have a voice per se. I abhor the murder of all people but it is a fact of life.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Public opinion holds tremendous sway in the US. Maybe your voice is just being drowned out because it is in the minority in the country as a whole. You just assume most feel as you do because you are in a city filled with extreme liberals.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    glurxglurx Posts: 1,031member
    This journalist is the same cretin who, when attacked by a mob, <a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/south_asia/newsid_1699000/1699708.stm"; target="_blank">condoned their violence</a> against him.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    solosolo Posts: 89member
    I don't think we hold ourselves with enough dignity. We sure as hell aren't as bad as those Al Queda nuts and I think it is time we showed it. Is killing every poor brainwashed peasant in Afghanistan really going to solve anything?
  • Reply 6 of 21
    glurxglurx Posts: 1,031member
    [quote]

<strong> Is killing every poor brainwashed peasant in Afghanistan really going to solve anything?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Probably not. But since that's not what we're doing, we'll never know for sure.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    "It's the mass media, stupid...."

:eek:

Tangent: I think they ought to call the "eek" smiley "Mr. Bill"

[ 03-08-2002: Message edited by: Moogs ? ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 21
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

<strong>He needs to remember Dunkirk.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Care to explain?

What annoys me is that whenever there's even the slightest sign of dissent amongst the US public, the government will orchestrate some event to pull in further support.

Several troops are killed in combat, so we get a flag-waving ceremony with Bush and the parents of a dead soldier, and "previously unseen footage" of the plane hitting the Pentagon, just to remind us how awful it all was.

Whether continued action in Afghanistan and suggestions of an attack on Saddam Hussein is right or wrong doesn't matter. I just hate this kind of manipulation.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    I dont think that its "distorted Americas morallity" so to say, rather that its brought the morallity out into light for the rest of the world to see

Kidding, kidding...
  • Reply 10 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by hmurchison:

<strong>I don't know what he wants to hear. The American Public does not have a voice per se. I abhor the murder of all people but it is a fact of life. Americans have enough issues stateside to become overly concerned about the happenings in the Middle East.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Isn't that the kind of isolationism that contributed to a certain event last September?
  • Reply 11 of 21
    spindlerspindler Posts: 713member
    What morality?
  • Reply 12 of 21
    This series of articles is an interesting read, slightly more pointed than the typical network blather. Why can't the corporate media would be a little more analytical and independent rather than constantly doling out government propaganda and 'blandiosity'?

<a href="http://www.straightgoods.ca/ViewMediaFile.cfm?REF=136"; target="_blank">http://www.straightgoods.ca/ViewMediaFile.cfm?REF=136</a>;
  • Reply 13 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by Samantha Joanne Ollendale:

<strong>This series of articles is an interesting read, slightly more pointed than the typical network blather. Why can't the corporate media would be a little more analytical and independent rather than constantly doling out government propaganda and 'blandiosity'?

<a href="http://www.straightgoods.ca/ViewMediaFile.cfm?REF=136"; target="_blank">http://www.straightgoods.ca/ViewMediaFile.cfm?REF=136</a></strong><hr></blockquote>;

All this "time line" stuff has been debunked over and over.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    [quote]All this "time line" stuff has been debunked over and over.<hr></blockquote>

Can you supply some *credible* and *well-researched* links and references to support your blanket statement?
  • Reply 15 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by Samantha Joanne Ollendale:

<strong>

Can you supply some *credible* and *well-researched* links and references to support your blanket statement?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sigh.... So you think this "time line" means that the attack was known of before it happened? You think that there's a chance that it's true? You're and idiot. You're the dumbass that too ****ing stupid to look up the facts.

How 'bout you back up your facts first? Idiot.

BTW I think this is a clear sign of your anti-american hatred. Bigot.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    [quote]Sigh.... So you think this "time line" means that the attack was known of before it happened? You think that there's a chance that it's true?<hr></blockquote>

I remain open-minded until someone can supply me convincing proof, whatever way. If you can debunk the numerous issues, then go for it...I am waiting. Investigators with more common sense and intelligence in their fingernails than you seem to possess between your ears, judging by your standard knee-jerk responses, have uncovered much disquieting information.

[quote]You're and idiot. You're the dumbass that too ****ing stupid to look up the facts. How 'bout you back up your facts first? Idiot.<hr></blockquote>

I replied to the thread by supplying a link which has some interesting information. All you did was flame me and jerked your knees, yet again. I asked you for a reference to back up your pronouncement, and....zip.

[quote]BTW I think this is a clear sign of your anti-american hatred. Bigot.<hr></blockquote>

Scott, you are showing your true colors again. When you're shy of a sensible and reasoned response, which seems to be a quite regular occurrence, you start name-calling; so predictable.

Only by balanced investigation where *all* the facts are taken into consideration by the powers that be and the media, no matter now unpalatable, can the dark scourge of terrorism be licked. If you ignore the stuff that doesn't fit neatly, or we find outside of our individual and collective comfort zones, it will for sure come back and bite us. I read exactly where you are coming from , and I wholeheartedly disagree with that type of ostrich-head-in-the-sand outlook. Not only is it no help to any reasonable notion of national security, but also a slap in the face to the those who were killed and their survivors; they deserve far better. If certain U.S. agencies have been complicit in, for example, aiding and abetting terrorists, then it should be shouted from the rooftops, and heads should roll (and more). But we all know what happens when the fox is in charge of the henhouse. Scott, you are naive beyond description, and your sense of patriotism is wildly misplaced. Give me a break. Sheesh.

[ 03-14-2002: Message edited by: Samantha Joanne Ollendale ]</p>
  • Reply 17 of 21
    It's been done you ****ing moron. It's been debumked several times here. You'd find that out if your bother to look into it yourself. Idiot.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Jeezus Scott.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    I have a low tolerance for stupid crap. People who drop false shit then act like it's correct until proven false. It works the other way around. Everything is false until proven true.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Resorting to personal abuse and name-calling is a sure sign of losing an argument. Scott H - how old are you? I'll be disappointed if the answer is 20 or more, because this is pretty teenage, knee jerk, head-in-the-sand stuff. The Blue Meanie is going elsewhere because his head hurts