Yes, I know this has probably been asked before...buy now or wait?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hi,

I suspect there has been hundreds of threads like this, but the Search function is screwed up so I can't check.

Anyway, my old 80GB 5th gen iPod is getting tired, and I want to upgrade. So in my sights is the 32GB iPod touch. However, according to Macrumors' Buyers Guide, it's close to an update; a month or two away.

What I want to know is; what possible features am I going to be missing out on if I buy now? Would the features be worth waiting for?

I don't need the iPod touch as such, but I would like to have it. So the main question is then: buy now or wait?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Like all things in computing: if you need it now, buy, if don't need it now, wait.

The iPod touch has a high probability of being upgraded in Sep/Oct with Apple A4, 960x640 LED TFT, camera and 128 GB of storage for $399 to $449. Of course, this means there is a high likelihood of a 16 GB iPod touch 3rd gen for $199 will become available as well.

It won't be upgraded in a month of two. Were you looking at the iPhone buyers guide, since that is going to be refreshed in 3 months.

You have a 80 GB iPod classic. Is it full? That can answer the question as well.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    mtmbpmtmbp Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

Like all things in computing: if you need it now, buy, if don't need it now, wait.

Like I said, I don't need it, but I want it.

Quote:

It won't be upgraded in a month of two. Were you looking at the iPhone buyers guide, since that is going to be refreshed in 3 months.

Nah, it was definitely the iPod touch one. Here's the text:

iPod touch

Recommendation: Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle

Last Release September 09, 2009

Days Since Update 213 (Avg = 245)

I assumed that the the update would be within a month of the average, so two months.

Quote:

The iPod touch has a high probability of being upgraded in Sep/Oct with Apple A4, 960x640 LED TFT, camera and 128 GB of storage for $399 to $449. Of course, this means there is a high likelihood of a 16 GB iPod touch 3rd gen for $199 will become available as well(...)You have a 80 GB iPod classic. Is it full? That can answer the question as well.

So are these features worth waiting five or six months for? I don't need the camera, nor do I need that much storage. I currently use about 35GB on my 80GB iPod, copying everything over. I wouldn't do that on the touch, but then I also physically couldn't.

The faster processor and better screen would be nice though.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I'm not completely convinced they'll include a camera yet, but it sure would be nice.