Apple's iPhone 4.0 beta includes linked contacts, iChat sounds

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A couple of new discoveries were made this past weekend by developers familiarizing themselves with the first external beta of Apple's iPhone 4.0 operating system, namely the addition of a linked contacts feature and the presence of iChat sounds in the resource files.



Linked Contacts



As can be seen below, a new version of the Contacts app due to ship with this summer's release will let users link multiple contacts together to form unified contact lists. The option "Link New Contacts?" appears at the base of each contact info pane.



Once a linked contact has been added to a primary contact, the info pane for the primary contact merges that contact information for both contacts into a single pane relabeled as "Unified Info." An option at the base of the unified pane lists the number of linked contacts and directs users to a "Linked Contacts" pane to merge even more contacts into the unified list.







iChat Sounds



And as if there weren't enough evidence mounting to suggest Apple is preparing to release a mobile version of its iChat video conference software for its iPhone OS devices, the folks over at iphonehacks.it have tacked on a bit more.



Specifically, they found inside the iPhone 4.0 resources a folder containing reproductions of iChat's sounds that are heard when sending an audio/video chat invitation and accepting an audio/video chat invitation.







Recent rumors have suggested that Apple's forth-generation iPhone, due for release this summer alongside iPhone Software 4.0, could include a forward-facing video camera in addition to the standard camera located on the rear of the handset.







Last week, AppleInsider also discovered the presence of iChatAgent running in the background of iPhones updated with iPhone Software 4.0 beta.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 54
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    A couple of new discoveries were made this past weekend by developers familiarizing themselves with the first external beta of Apple's iPhone 4.0 operating system,



    I thought those developers were bound by an NDA?



    Who keeps doing this sort of thing?
  • Reply 2 of 54
    zeasarzeasar Posts: 91member
    The kind that are not afraid, and did their home works well enough to not get caught.



    This is going to be a hell of a year for my bank account.
  • Reply 3 of 54
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeasar View Post


    The kind that are not afraid, and did their home works well enough to not get caught.








    Just because they didn't get caught doesn't make it right.



    Should we be glorifying these guys with media attention?
  • Reply 4 of 54
    The real question is WHEN - when will 4.0 and new iPhones be released? I assume a betting man would gamble on June?



    And - when is Apple going to give this iPhone/iPad software a name? IMHO, it needs one.
  • Reply 5 of 54
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post


    The real question is WHEN - when will 4.0 and new iPhones be released? I assume a betting man would gamble on June?




    What were the release dates for the previous models?
  • Reply 6 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post


    What were the release dates for the previous models?



    Mid-June to mid-July time frame. Full announcement of release dates at WWDC.
  • Reply 7 of 54
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post


    Just because they didn't get caught doesn't make it right.



    Should we be glorifying these guys with media attention?



    did you forget last year? apple turns a blind eye because it's free PR. and they always use someone else to release information so they can change anything at anytime and not have to answer why they did it
  • Reply 8 of 54
    neilmneilm Posts: 634member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Last week, AppleInsider also discovered the presence of iChatAgent running in the background of iPhone's updated with iPhone Software 4.0 beta.



    Noun plurals in English are not formed with an apostrophe-s. Not ever.
  • Reply 9 of 54
    By naming it the iPhone OS, they got around calling it Mobile, Compact or any other lesser sounding name AND avoided confusion with full-blown OS X. Pretty smart: branding it to your most popular product.



    But now, with the Touch, the 10" tablet, and smaller tablets waiting in the wings, they are spreading it kinda thin. iPhone OS now seems too small of a title for the versatile, and powerful tablets.



    What I would do is name the OS for the tablets the iPad OS, but I would keep the OS completely identical to the iPhone OS?just change the name. That will end confusion with the public without gumming up the development cycle.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post


    The real question is WHEN - when will 4.0 and new iPhones be released? I assume a betting man would gamble on June?



    And - when is Apple going to give this iPhone/iPad software a name? IMHO, it needs one.



  • Reply 10 of 54
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,803member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ulfhednar View Post


    By naming it the iPhone OS, they got around calling it Mobile, Compact or any other lesser sounding name AND avoided confusion with full-blown OS X. Pretty smart: branding it to your most popular product.



    But now, with the Touch, the 10" tablet, and smaller tablets waiting in the wings, they are spreading it kinda thin. iPhone OS now seems too small of a title for the versatile, and powerful tablets.



    What I would do is name the OS for the tablets the iPad OS, but I would keep the OS completely identical to the iPhone OS?just change the name. That will end confusion with the public without gumming up the development cycle.



    I like the simple route by going with iOS, as some of us have been doing already. I know it may sound weird to some, but it can cover anything, and it's easy to say, and does have a certain "ring" to it.
  • Reply 11 of 54
    zeasarzeasar Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ulfhednar View Post


    What I would do is name the OS for the tablets the iPad OS, but I would keep the OS completely identical to the iPhone OS?just change the name. That will end confusion with the public without gumming up the development cycle.



    Then what will we get? Mac OS X, iPhone OS and iPad OS? If they drop the iPhone OS and uses iPad OS then it will create confusion for future iPhone users.



    I don't think there needs to be a name change, if it does, Mobile OS seems grand. I don't think it sounds any "less" of an OS than OS X, just an OS that is specific for mobile devices.
  • Reply 12 of 54
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    So this looks like its finally going to land. iChat for iPhone. This, and it's near worthless video chat, will be the highlight of the new iPhone, as well a nice updated hardware look, rest of 4.0 software, A4 chip, and playback/video recording of 720p content, landing it the name iPhone HD. 16, 32, and 64 gb models, at $99 and up by 100. Best value iPhone to date. Fastest and most capable iPhone to date.



    Announced at wwdc last week of June, iPhone HD released by second week of July. 4.0 to ship on it. 4.0 release on or around the same day.



    September event: iPod touch A4 w/ camera (maybe 2 cameras), iPad OS 4.0, and iTunes X (64 bit, Cocoa, and Streaming).
  • Reply 13 of 54
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    [QUOTE=Ulfhednar;1610769



    What I would do is name the OS for the tablets the iPad OS,[/QUOTE]



    But that would be just as inaccurate as Iphone OS. And besides, the two devices don't use the same OS - the iPad uses 3.2 and the iPhone uses 3.1.3.



    iPhone OS 4.0 will not work on the iPad until extensive tweaks are made, which will take many, many months.



    Why not just call the fragments two different OSs and be done with it?
  • Reply 14 of 54
    zeasarzeasar Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post


    iPhone OS 4.0 will not work on the iPad until extensive tweaks are made, which will take many, many months.



    iPad will work with iPhone 4.0 once its out. Remember its not Micro$oft we are talking about here.
  • Reply 15 of 54
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    I probably should know this by now, but what network is used for iChat?



    Is it mobileme to mobileme? Can you use it to talk across other networks like MSN etc?



    If it's just mobileme users isn't that kinda limited or therefore not much to really care about?
  • Reply 16 of 54
    zeasarzeasar Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post


    I probably should know this by now, but what network is used for iChat?



    Is it mobileme to mobileme? Can you use it to talk across other networks like MSN etc?



    If it's just mobileme users isn't that kinda limited or therefore not much to really care about?



    AOL and mobileme I think
  • Reply 17 of 54
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeasar View Post


    iPad will work with iPhone 4.0 once its out. Remember its not Micro$oft we are talking about here.



    Nope. You will not be able to load iPhone OS 4.0 onto the iPad. Not until it is extensively reworked, according to Apple. They hope to have it modified sufficiently by next fall.



    And as of now, iPhone OS 3.2 will not work on the iPhone.
  • Reply 18 of 54
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeasar View Post


    AOL and mobileme I think



    Yep, MobileMe, AIM, Jabber & GoogleTalk all play nice together.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post


    Yep, MobileMe, AIM, Jabber & GoogleTalk all play nice together.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeasar View Post


    AOL and mobileme I think



    Cool. Thanks guys!
  • Reply 20 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post


    Noun plurals in English are not formed with an apostrophe-s. Not ever.



    Interesting as that may be. I was trying to ask somebody how many As they got last semester. How would you recommend I do that without an apostrophe? As is would appear to say As.
Sign In or Register to comment.