in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://kin.com/

I'll be the first to say I'm not impressed

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Wow, looks like a fat guy sat on a Palm Pre:

http://gizmodo.com/5515310/microsoft...ands+on-videos

Windows Phone 7 OS is designed to run on other devices but this being Microsoft's own product isn't good. If it's dirt cheap, it might sell to teens but the UI looks really sluggish.

I guess they can't compete too hard with partners they hope to pull in to use WinMo 7 but Google still managed to keep people an Android and make a decent product.

They keep picking really horrible names too: Kin, Bing. Their marketing department is just awful.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Wow, looks like a fat guy sat on a Palm Pre:

http://gizmodo.com/5515310/microsoft...ands+on-videos

Windows Phone 7 OS is designed to run on other devices but this being Microsoft's own product isn't good. If it's dirt cheap, it might sell to teens but the UI looks really sluggish.

I guess they can't compete too hard with partners they hope to pull in to use WinMo 7 but Google still managed to keep people an Android and make a decent product.

They keep picking really horrible names too: Kin, Bing. Their marketing department is just awful.

At least Bing sounds sort of peppy. "Kin" puts me in mind of dinner at grandma's-- surely not the association they were going for? Maybe "Next of Kin" as in who will need to be notified once you look at the horrifying videos on their intro page?

Not sure of the efficacy of putting dumbed down Windows Phone 7 UI on a feature phone with apparently underspeced hardware. The sliding panels thing just seems pointless and slow, in that context.

And could I just say that MS' marketing makes me want to tear my fact off and set in on fire and staple it back on so I can tear it off again? People give Apple shit for being for "hipsters and posers" but to look at Microsoft's pitch their products are exclusively used by giddy urban 15-19 years olds that exist in some kind of half lit clubby demi-monde with a break for the occasional road trip and, oh yeah, they always look kinda sweaty like they took a break from having sex to go dance and use their KIN to NETWORK which is HILARIOUS.

The "informational" web page has next to no actual information, instead being mostly comprised of shitty, insultingly pandering sub-music video videos which are very grainy and handheld and spontaneous in the manner of today's youth. God almighty someone kill me and stop the pain.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    dayrobotdayrobot Posts: 133member
    The puck mouse is back from the dead!

Seriously, how would you know if you are holding it the right way?

Or with the microphone to your ear?

And if it changes screen orientation while browsing (like the iPhone), we'll never know

Heh heh

Dan