250 hrs DV capture, log, EDLs - Which is best FCE vs iDive vs FootTrack ???

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello,

I'm facing the massive job of Capturing, Logging, and Creating EDL's for 250+ hrs of mini DV tape.

Ulimately, (most likely) the footage will need to seamlessly export to Final Cut Pro (FCP).

I've been reading that iDive and FootTracks GREATLY enhance organization efficiencies over FCE, and both are supposedly seamless exports to FCP.

What has surfaced thus far is:

1. FCE is fine, however it is cumbersome process, lowest cost $150.

2. iDive sounds great, although vers.2 on their website forum has been getting NO support from mnfgr at all. Website soft on this product since '08. Cost $70.

3. FootTrack sounds good too, website soft and no updates since '08 v2.4 and not good support reports. Cost $50.

iDive link: http://www.aquafadas.com/en/idive-di...ideo/index.php

FootTrack link: http://foottrack.com/index.html

I've also been toying with the idea of capturing onto hard drives of 2 Mac's simultaneously (using 2 cameras/players) and then batch transfering each (combining footage) to a Drobo 4 as the destination device.

If I go FCE route, does anyone know if Apple allows (1 laptop, 1 mac desktop) to use a single license (the way MS Office for Mac does)?

Input greatly appreciated - I need to get started ASAP.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I'd go for the supported product: FCP!

I'm not familiar with FCP but maybe it's got a feature like Photoshop's Actions that might greatly speed up production.

Aren't there any specific video editing/FCP boards where these questions might elicit more response?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

I'd go for the supported product: FCP!

I'm not familiar with FCP but maybe it's got a feature like Photoshop's Actions that might greatly speed up production.

Aren't there any specific video editing/FCP boards where these questions might elicit more response?

Good suggestion... I was guided to this forum. Now I've found CreativeCow. Maybe they can help.

thanks.