Reconnect to network automatically?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is there a utility that will reconnect a mac to it's wireless network when it falls off that network?



My iMac is out back in our converted garage, where it serves up music to all the expresses in the main house from a large hard drive. The airport extreme is in the main house, because that's where the cable for the FIOS is. Not the best arrangement, but kind of just the way it needs to be.



The iMac keeps falling off the network, pretty much once a day if not more. Wireless phone interference and other things are the problem I'm assuming. I could run a cable out there, but I'd rather not.



When I just went out there to reconnect to the network, it dawned on me that all the networks were available, (neighbors networks, my network) it's just that my network wasn't chosen, so there was no connection. So it dawned on me, does anyone make a utility that will reconnect a mac to a network when any time that network becomes available? Seems like a simple thing???

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 6
    Apple Menu->System Preferences->Network->AirPort->Advanced...->Preferred Network:



    Make sure your network is there, and is on the top of the list. Any networks here will be auto-logged-in.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    How do you move the network to the top of the list?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karl Kuehn View Post


    Apple Menu->System Preferences->Network->AirPort->Advanced...->Preferred Network:



    Make sure your network is there, and is on the top of the list. Any networks here will be auto-logged-in.



  • Reply 3 of 6
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,422member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soundhound View Post


    How do you move the network to the top of the list?



    click and drag to the top
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Oh, whoops, I did see that. Sorry to be so lame! Anyway, the network was already at the top of the list. Set up that way, should it should automatically join that network? It doesn't always. And this iMac falls off the airport network fairly frequently.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post


    click and drag to the top



  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soundhound View Post


    Oh, whoops, I did see that. Sorry to be so lame! Anyway, the network was already at the top of the list. Set up that way, should it should automatically join that network? It doesn't always. And this iMac falls off the airport network fairly frequently.



    It probably does so all during the day, but reconnects most of the time so that you wouldn't even notice. But sometimes it doesn't come back on. That's when you do notice.

    Seems to me your Airport net is running at the limits of its range whence it drops out every now and then (changing athmospheric conditions) and you need to either place routers and machines closer together or boost your Airport signal somehow.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I bet you're right. That's why I was wondering if there was some kind of program that would automatically look for an airport network and connect.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post


    It probably does so all during the day, but reconnects most of the time so that you wouldn't even notice. But sometimes it doesn't come back on. That's when you do notice.

    Seems to me your Airport net is running at the limits of its range whence it drops out every now and then (changing athmospheric conditions) and you need to either place routers and machines closer together or boost your Airport signal somehow.



Sign In or Register to comment.