Refurbished Macs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Has anybody here purchased a refurbished iMac? If so, what has been your experience with it? Just like buying a new one? I am thinking of buying refurbed since the prices are quite a bit better than new, but I don't know what the disadvantages are, if any.

Thanks for any assistance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    The Refurb store is my favorite place. These items arrive in a refurb brown box, but you'd never know they aren't new. The warranty is the same and if anything, they've been tested more than the regular store products. You can't beat the price. I've ordered several items and they've all been flawless. The last refurb item that I purchased was a Macbook Pro and it was perfect.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webpoet73 View Post

Has anybody here purchased a refurbished iMac? If so, what has been your experience with it? Just like buying a new one? I am thinking of buying refurbed since the prices are quite a bit better than new, but I don't know what the disadvantages are, if any.

I've bought two.

They're indistinguishable from new except they arrive in brown boxes.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    webpoet73webpoet73 Posts: 112member
    Thanks guys... I am looking a refurbed i7 iMac... 1850 vs 2200 is good savings... and i might just get the i5 at 1700 vs 2000 is really good savings, too.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Thanks guys... I am looking a refurbed i7 iMac... 1850 vs 2200 is good savings... and i might just get the i5 at 1700 vs 2000 is really good savings, too.

One of my refurbished iMacs is a 2.66 ghz 20" machine. I'm like you and am considering replacing it with a refurbished 27" i5/7 iMac. Those are very nearly perfect machines.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    mojo57mojo57 Posts: 3member
    Quote:

I purchased my very first Mac about 2 months ago - a 21.5" iMac. I bought it from Apple's Refurb section. I LOVE IT!!! Other than the box it shipped in, you'd never know it wasn't a brand-spanking new computer. It looked perfect and so far has worked perfectly! I'm considering a macbook pro and may buy it refurbed as well!

Good luck!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    pipserpipser Posts: 20member
    Can you walk into an Apple store or maybe a Best Buy and purchase a refurb machine or are those offers only available online?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pipser View Post

Can you walk into an Apple store or maybe a Best Buy and purchase a refurb machine or are those offers only available online?

online only. Though I do remember going into my local Apple store a few years ago on a first or last Saturday of the month and they had a stack of mac minis and ipods that were discounted as open box items. I don't know if they still do that, I'd call your store and find out. If they did it would be a hit or miss, you'd do better online.