MBP 13 inch - advice needed

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello all,

After my disappointment at not seeing an i chip in the 13 inch MBP I have decided I still want one.

I have enough cash to do one of two upgrades...

128 SSD OR 2.6 processer

Opinions on which I should go for pls.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    dayrobotdayrobot Posts: 133member
    I'm not an Apple person, and do not own Apple (umm... actually got an iPod touch a little over a week ago, but that doesn't count ) and i don't work for Apple, but from what i've heard Samsung SSD's are pretty bad. Not anything to run from, but there are much better options out there, like Intel and two others i'll have to check which ones.

So i personally would suggest you hold off on the SSD for now and take the better CPU, because you can only upgrade the CPU by buying a new machine, since laptop CPU's are generally soldered on permanently.

You can always put in an SSD when you will have funds available. It's a simple swap, and doesn't void your AppleCare as long as you keep the original drive and swap it in before you take the MBP to the shop.

When you get your aftermarket SSD, just clone the old drive to the new one, since the manufacturer usually provides a USB drive enclosure, where your old drive can plug in.

I'd think it's two hours and you're done.

When time comes, just ask here or even visit the dedicated SSD upgrade thread in the MBA forum at Mac Rumors.... even though yours is a different machine, they can tell you how to clone a drive.

Dan
  • Reply 2 of 2
    clark80clark80 Posts: 28member
    Thanks v much. Good point about the processor.

Does anyone know if there are any benchmark tests out there for the 2 chips?