HELP Spilled water on my macbook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
today i spilled a glass of water on my macbook, right after i was able to pick it up turn it upside down and dry the water off it. Like an idiot i turned it back on soon after and when i did the trackpad could not move the curser any longer but it still clicked. Also it could no longer charge. and random keys would stop working adn then go off with out me touching them, i turned it off and im letting it dry now.

I called apple but didnt tell them i spilled water on it. They said they would fix it for free and im supposed to go in to the apple store tomorrow but im scared they will be able to tell there was water damage and will not fix it. What should i do??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrisdaly View Post

... They said they would fix it for free and im supposed to go in to the apple store tomorrow but im scared they will be able to tell there was water damage and will not fix it. What should i do??

Oh, please. Do you really believe that you are the first person ever to drown his laptop? You can not go and not have the computer fixed. Be warned, as paperweights go, dead MacBooks are fairly large. If you decide that the MacBoook works better as a computer than as a doorstop, then take it in. Keep your mouth shut.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Should i wait a couple days to bring it in so its completely dried out? and arent they going to be able to tell that there was water damage?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrisdaly View Post

today i spilled a glass of water on my macbook, right after i was able to pick it up turn it upside down and dry the water off it. Like an idiot i turned it back on soon after and when i did the trackpad could not move the curser any longer but it still clicked. Also it could no longer charge. and random keys would stop working adn then go off with out me touching them, i turned it off and im letting it dry now.

I called apple but didnt tell them i spilled water on it. They said they would fix it for free and im supposed to go in to the apple store tomorrow but im scared they will be able to tell there was water damage and will not fix it. What should i do??

Do not turn it on again until it has completely dried out. Completely. Take the battery out as well. Put a fan on it and let it go a few days. Its pretty normal for things to be wrong with it if there is still water in it. I've seen people spill stuff on their laptop and the screen would be blinking etc - but after letting it dry properly it ended up working fine.

That being said, depending on how new it is, MacBook Pros currently have sensors for water spills: http://gizmodo.com/tag/water-damage-indicator/ so I don't think there is any way you are going to be able to hide that fact from Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    If Apple does discover it was water damaged, they will still fix it and charge you for it instead of doing it for free. I am sure the priority is to get the machine fixed.