Apple Stock Splits?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was curious about historically how high Apple stock typically gets to before they decide to split

the stock?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Easily found out:

Jun 16, 1987 [2:1] $83.00

Jun 21, 2000 [2:1] $111.26

Feb 28, 2005 [2:1] $89.72

None of which means anything, really. Clearly the board has since decided that splits aren't meaningful, which they are not.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Easily found out:

Jun 16, 1987 [2:1] $83.00

Jun 21, 2000 [2:1] $111.26

Feb 28, 2005 [2:1] $89.72

None of which means anything, really. Clearly the board has since decided that splits aren't meaningful, which they are not.

Again, there are some limitations on "bundled to trade" stocks. Try to set up a "sell on stop" if you have less then 100 AAPL and see what happens.

If youre not trading in 100 multiples, the broker need to bundle you trade with others to pass it on Nasdaq. That could results in delays on sell/buy orders and could limits the commands you can pass on the stock. APPL have such a high volume that the effect is not so bad but on low volume stocks this could turn pretty bad.

High price stocks hurts small investors, but the people making those decisions have twousands of shares, so they probably dont even know there is a problem.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Again, there are some limitations on "bundled to trade" stocks. Try to set up a "sell on stop" if you have less then 100 AAPL and see what happens.

If youre not trading in 100 multiples, the broker need to bundle you trade with others to pass it on Nasdaq. That could results in delays on sell/buy orders and could limits the commands you can pass on the stock. APPL have such a high volume that the effect is not so bad but on low volume stocks this could turn pretty bad.

High price stocks hurts small investors, but the people making those decisions have twousands of shares, so they probably dont even know there is a problem.

No, I've never tried that so far as I can recall -- but I doubt many small investors are doing anything but buying and selling on market orders, nor should they be. The NASDAQ being an electronic trading exchange, I suspect the delays in selling odd lots are measured in the nanoseconds. If you want to talk about where small investors can really be hurt over the sort run, talk about program trading by the institutions. Talk about after-hours trading.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    A stock split does nothing for the corporation... unless... they wish to increase the number of shares the corporation has retained so that they can sell some of them.

A stock split allows them to generate more shares with much less hassle than actually issuing NEW shares (which affects the value of outstanding shares).

So, I wouldn't expect to see a split unless Apple has some desire to generate cash. But since they're sitting on Billions in cash, that seems highly unlikely.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    A company generates no cash by splitting shares. It is a pure paperwork exercise. The only way they can generate cash through stock is by creating new shares (via a public offering, or grant of options to insiders), which does dilute existing shareholder value.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

A company generates no cash by splitting shares. It is a pure paperwork exercise. The only way they can generate cash through stock is by creating new shares (via a public offering, or grant of options to insiders), which does dilute existing shareholder value.

True, but if APPL holds 1000 of their own shares, and they wish to sell some (to generate cash), they can split (say 3:1) and sell 2000 of their own holdings and still retain 1000. And no needing to jump through the SEC's hoops for creating NEW shares.

It's all academic, as the "new" split shares are worth less each... But, of course, they forsee the value increasing.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

True, but if APPL holds 1000 of their own shares, and they wish to sell some (to generate cash), they can split (say 3:1) and sell 2000 of their own holdings and still retain 1000. And no needing to jump through the SEC's hoops for creating NEW shares.

It's all academic, as the "new" split shares are worth less each... But, of course, they forsee the value increasing.

Companies don't hold their own shares. They create them to sell them to the public, which is why they are called public companies. If a company buys back their shares, those share are no longer public and go away.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    It has been split in the past and has come back up to the presplit price, therefore doubling your money, I say buy now. But I'm no stock genius.Just checked - they've split twice in the last ten years. June 2000 and Feb 2005. If their track record holds, they're due! The split in 2005 took price per share down to $45, more than affordable for the commoner like me. I'd love to see it happen, either 2/1 or 3/1.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    OMG. Hard to know what else to say.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr millmoss View Post

omg. Hard to know what else to say.

LoL
  • Reply 11 of 11
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I hope there is a stock split so I can buy ONE share of AAPL at what, about USD$125 (AAPL at 250 divided by two)... Which will be about 2% of my total nett worth.

If I bought ONE share of AAPL right now it would be 4% of my total nett worth which is too risky an investment for me (I'm ultra conservative in investing).

Cash is where it's at, bi*ches... NOT.