Apple strikes back at Adobe, says Flash is 'closed and proprietary'

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In a rare public comment, Apple's public relations department responded Wednesday to criticisms from the project manager for Adobe Flash, suggesting his recent criticism of Apple was "backwards."

In a statement to CNet's DeepTech, Apple spokeswoman Trudy Miller fired back at Adobe's Mike Chambers, who revealed this week that his company was abandoning its investment in a feature that would allow Flash applications to be ported natively to the iPhone OS. Chambers also made comments suggesting that Apple's closed system was restrictive to developers -- an allegation that caught the ire of Apple.

"Someone has it backwards -- it is HTML5, CSS, JavaScript, and H.264 (all supported by the iPhone and iPad) that are open and standard, while Adobe's Flash is closed and proprietary," Apple's Miller said in the statement.

While Apple's stance should come as no surprise, the fact that it offered comment on the matter is unique for the notoriously secretive company. When Apple introduced iPhone OS 4 earlier this month, company co-founder Steve Jobs was asked if there were any plans to add support for Adobe Flash. Jobs simply responded, "No."

But privately, Jobs has allegedly been very outspoken about Flash in recent months. At a company meeting in January, the CEO was rumored to have called Adobe "lazy," and said most Mac crashes are due to Flash. "The world is moving to HTML5," Jobs was quoted as saying.

Jobs also allegedly called Flash a "CPU hog" in a meeting with officials from The Wall Street Journal. The Apple co-founder was said to have called the Web format "full of security holes" and "old technology."

Adobe employees and supporters have fired back publicly since Apple revealed the iPad, which does not support Flash. Then, earlier this month, Apple took it one step further and specifically prohibited the development of applications using "an intermediary translation or compatibility layer tool." The change to the iPhone OS developer agreement means that software originally written for formats like Adobe's Flash cannot be ported to the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. Adobe's forthcoming Creative Suite 5 includes software that allows Flash developers to port their software to the iPhone, though Adobe will no longer advance that technology due to Apple's changes.

One Adobe supporter suggested Apple timed the announcement to hurt sales of CS5. Jobs, in an e-mail, defended the move and said that intermediary software only results in substandard applications.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 281
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Adobe had better pray that there is never an iPhone on Verizon because the Droid is the only reason why Android has any market share.
  • Reply 2 of 281
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a rare public comment, Apple's public relations department responded Wednesday to criticisms from the project manager for Adobe Flash, suggesting his recent criticism of Apple was "backwards."

"Someone has it backwards -- it is HTML5, CSS, JavaScript, and H.264 (all supported by the iPhone and iPad) that are open and standard, while Adobe's Flash is closed and proprietary," Apple's Miller said in the statement.

But privately, Jobs has allegedly been very outspoken about Flash in recent months. At a company meeting in January, the CEO was rumored to have called Adobe "lazy," and said most Mac crashes are due to Flash. "The world is moving to HTML5," Jobs was quoted as saying.

Jobs also allegedly called Flash a "CPU hog" in a meeting with officials from The Wall Street Journal. The Apple co-founder was said to have called the Web format "full of security holes" and "old technology."

One Adobe supporter suggested Apple timed the announcement to hurt sales of CS5. Jobs, in an e-mail, defended the move and said that intermediary software only results in substandard applications.

Flash is not necessary.

I can't believe we're once again going over the same crap again (Note the first time were the browser specific tags that Microsoft fostered in order to defeat Netscape)

How many times do you have to tell people that the Internet needs to be open and accessible to as many people as possible without having to pay some company?

It's interesting to see Google begin to cave on open internet as well (embracing Flash on Android) . Their integrity and "do no evil" mantra seems to erode a bit more day by day.
  • Reply 3 of 281
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Adobe had better pray that there is never an iPhone on Verizon because the Droid is the only reason why Android has any market share.

This will be taken care of next year is presume.

Tim Cook (I believe) all but said that there are only 3 areas where the iPhone has single carrier exclusity (Spain, US and another country). He mentioned that they had already made of their mind about the US market.

Reading between the lines I see iPhone on Verizon Q1 of 2011.
  • Reply 4 of 281
    Very Tiny Violin for Adobe.

My heart bleeds for them. Really.

Rip off prices for the CS5 Suite for verrrrrrrrry little new stuff.

Flash. Slow. Buggy. Insecure. They can't even release the software they're criticising Apple for not supporting.

Trudy is quite correct. Apple supports open source tech'.

It IS Adobe that is proprietary. Flash is old. News. Bye.

I hope Apple plop the iphone on Verizon. Then android is dead meat.

Google. They're the microsoft of their day. Crapy 'lego brick' windows style interfaces. All tech and no heart.

Good on Apple's P.R. Adobe has been shooting their mouth off a plenty. 'bout time someone shut them up and gave them a fat lip.

Guess that person...had to be Apple.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 5 of 281
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

It's interesting to see Google begin to cave on open internet as well (embracing Flash on Android) . Their integrity and "do no evil" mantra seems to erode a bit more day by day.

"do no evil" is just a feel good marketing slogan and has been for some time.

What amuses me are the sppeople who criticize iAd and then turn around and praise Android. I always wonder just why they think google and android exist. It's not for search or to better the smartphone market - at least that's not their primary goal.

Edit: indeed, all one has to do is look at the bottom of this page to see what google is about!
  • Reply 6 of 281
    Quote:

Damn straight, Hmurchison.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 7 of 281
    Ok, so both the iPhone and Flash are closed systems. What else is new.

The iPhone and the iPhone OS offers something compelling and Flash does not, but we all already knew that.
  • Reply 8 of 281
    woodewoode Posts: 67member
    Where are the usual Flash apologists now that Adobe has caved?
  • Reply 9 of 281
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

"do no evil" is just a feel good marketing slogan and has been for some time.

What amuses me are the sppeople who criticize iAd and then turn around and praise Android. I always wonder just why they think google and android exist. It's not for search or to better the smartphone market - at least that's not their primary goal.

Edit: indeed, all one has to do is look at the bottom of this page to see what google is about!

Clearly

Much like Politicians some people take a fondness for a person or company which apparently abstract from logical reasoning.

I had my google account compromised and by the time I got my password reset 3.6 GB of archived email was GONE.

I'm seriously debating jettisoning my google account. I don't really need Google Reader as I'm becoming more comfortable with Twitter for getting info. I have Mobileme now so I have acceptable email and calendar that syncs easy with my Mac and the cloud.

The only downside is that this will cost me about 7 dollars a month but in the end that's chump change.

My internet life has become so much better since installing Click2Flash. That speaks volumes about how negative the ratio of useful/annoying Flash really is for me.
  • Reply 10 of 281
    drubledruble Posts: 62member
    "We don't know how to make a $500 computer that's not a piece of junk" - Steve Jobs

Price of an iPad - $499
  • Reply 11 of 281
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    The Apple juggernaut rolls on. As Lee Iacocca once said: "Lead, follow, or get out of the way." Are you listening Adobe?
  • Reply 12 of 281
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    I'm a little surprised Apple would bother getting into a public tit for tat on this, just because the whole question of "open" versus "proprietary" is not something that most consumers generally care about. I think this is really more of a developer issue. Consumers don't care if Flash or html5 are "open" or "proprietary" -- from their point of view, both are "free" to use. Apple should focus on making the argument that their solution results in a better experience for consumers than Flash.
  • Reply 13 of 281
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    I wonder if anyone else recalls that the until the current version, Keynote had the ability to export to Flash. Hardly anyone mentioned it at the time but that feature disappeared with Keynote 5, about a year ago now. The decision to drop it could have been made long before that. This puzzled me until the war of words broke out between Apple and Adobe. Something more than just a dispute over technology is going on here, most likely.
  • Reply 14 of 281
    I love Apple, but nearly EVERYTHING they do is closed and proprietary. I guess it's OK if your closed system provides excellent quality (e.g. OS X & App Store) but if it produces processor hogs than too bad.
  • Reply 14 of 281
    I find that a very funny statement coming from Apple. Didn?t they just squelch a company for selling hardware with Apple OS on them. They also have no open market for software developers within the IPhone only what they approve of. Pot calling the Kettle black I would say...
  • Reply 16 of 281
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by druble View Post

"We don't know how to make a $500 computer that's not a piece of junk" - Steve Jobs

Price of an iPad - $499

The only people calling it a computer are those criticizing it. It's a media consumption device with a few "computer-like" features built in. If you want an Apple computer that is a computer be prepared to pay $1K.
  • Reply 17 of 281
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    oops.
  • Reply 18 of 281
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macintel4me View Post

Ok, so both the iPhone and Flash are closed systems. What else is new.

I don't think the argument here is the "Closed System" but rather the lack of standards. The Apple SDK, HTML, CSS etc all work 1 way and 1 way only. In Flash five (arbitrary number) people can develop the same app 5 different ways and that's the problem?there's no standard. This is what leads to CPUs running crazy and all sorts of other issues like bloated files.

Shoot just having a Netflix [flash] popup ad on my tower was consuming 35-47% of one of the processors! For and ad!
  • Reply 19 of 281
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woode View Post

Where are the usual Flash apologists now that Adobe has caved?

They are on the CNN page.
  • Reply 20 of 281
    Sorry.