Apple's Steve Jobs racks up $127K in travel expenses in Q1 2010

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    Actually I thought the costs were low and it did not do much travel in 1Q. Seems he only travelled in USA and not overseas. I wonder, if he does the 'Tony Stark thing'
  • Reply 42 of 64
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

For a Gulfstream that sits all the time, ownership costs are the most expensive cost item. The fuel costs a small amount compared to the millions in ownership depreciation of a new G-V. But, of course that would not be properly accounted for in the books, because it's inconvenient and makes people sad.

I was talking operational expense, this is a reimbursement line item for business use.

It's not a new machine anymore, just over ten years old.

I don't think depreciation is considered the same way as an expense.
  • Reply 43 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

...PS: Are there any clever names for a plane than N2N, the registration number of Job's jet?

Who knows what they use for a call-sign when they're flying. They can make up whatever they want. If the pilot(s) (or Steve) has any personality, they'll use something other than the N-number.
  • Reply 44 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think depreciation is considered the same way as an expense.

Correct.

One, if it's 10 years old,it's probably fully depreciated anyway. Two, regardless, Dep is a 'non-cash charge' (an oxymoron), i.e., accountants treat it like money left company (an expense) when it never did.

Simple, isn't it?
  • Reply 45 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Correct.

One, if it's 10 years old,it's probably fully depreciated anyway. Two, regardless, Dep is a 'non-cash charge' (an oxymoron), i.e., accountants treat it like money left company (an expense) when it never did.

Simple, isn't it?

It might not be fully depreciated if this is correct:

http://www.aviationattorneys.com/air...deductions.cfm

Engines, landing gear & spare parts have a 7 or 10 year cycle, the airframe might have a 25 year cycle.

It sounds like it's under Job's personal ownership, I think that changes things with respect to tax & accounting depreciation.
  • Reply 46 of 64
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    A $127K is a drop in the bucket for Apple and many other large corporations.
  • Reply 47 of 64
    jdsonicejdsonice Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Doesn't sound too much to me.

I say that is not enough travel :-) Given that Apple's stock has done so so so so well, and all of us stockholders are making so much money I say travel more.
  • Reply 48 of 64
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:

What about my post is laughable?

If I have to explain it...

Guys sitting around calculating Steve Jobs jet mileage and fuel costs to ascertain....nothing? It's like SNL fodder. Anyone who read this thread would picture us all sitting in our parent's basements with tape holding our eyeglasses together.

Notice I said "us".
  • Reply 49 of 64
    smokeonitsmokeonit Posts: 268member
    $127k for private jet flights???

sounds like very little to me... like 4-6 flights...
  • Reply 50 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Guys sitting around calculating Steve Jobs jet mileage and fuel costs to ascertain....nothing? It's like SNL fodder. Anyone who read this thread would picture us all sitting in our parent's basements with tape holding our eyeglasses together.

Notice I said "us".

I see what you mean, but I also see this sort of thing happening on any discussion forum of pretty much any kind. Even the underwater basket weavers probably do this for their celebrities, to use an interest category that may or may not exist.

Knowing the operational cost of a jet isn't all that useful to me, but I do think it's interesting information.
  • Reply 51 of 64
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I see what you mean, but I also see this sort of thing happening on any discussion forum of pretty much any kind. Even the underwater basket weavers probably do this for their celebrities, to use an interest category that may or may not exist.

Knowing the operational cost of a jet isn't all that useful to me, but I do think it's interesting information.

Not arguing, my point was how this would look to an outsider, which I find amusing. Obviously I'm here reading it too.
  • Reply 52 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Notice I said "us".

Ah, I see. I suppose some might, but it's not exactly tough to divide two numbers by each other and these " normal people" would be jerks to think different interests are funny. I call Joseph von Fraunhofer as Exhibit A. Talk about obsessed with something meaningless. While his discoveries were nothing short of amazing his goal was about as petty as they come.

If you some simple calculations are laughable you should see the detail I get into on etymology boards. I can spend all day or even days on a single word or phrase.
  • Reply 53 of 64
    Quote:

Ah. I suppose some might, but it's not exactly tough to divide two numbers by each other.

If you some simple calculations are laughable you should see the detail I get into on etymology boards. I can spend all day or even days on a single word or phrase.

I had to look up what etymology was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etymology
  • Reply 54 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

I'm glad I could add another word to your vocabulary.
  • Reply 55 of 64
    Quote:

Notice I said "us".

1) It didn't seem like it took all that much to calculate. A middle-schooler can do it in a couple of minutes.

2) I don't know about you, but I actually learnt something about what '$127K' means when a private jet is flown. I found it quite interesting.

3) If SNL is your benchmark for social commentary, you may have bigger problems than arithmetic.....
  • Reply 56 of 64
    Quote:

Hmmm..... I wonder where that word comes from.....
  • Reply 57 of 64
    'Apple's' Steve Jobs? As opposed to 'McDonald's' Steve Jobs?

kidding...
  • Reply 58 of 64
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:

Ah, I see. I suppose some might, but it's not exactly tough to divide two numbers by each other and these " normal people" would be jerks to think different interests are funny. I call Joseph von Fraunhofer as Exhibit A. Talk about obsessed with something meaningless. While his discoveries were nothing short of amazing his goal was about as petty as they come.

Quote:

Quote:

I'm glad I could add another word to your vocabulary.

Sorry about being off topic...

Hey Solipsism, can you give me a link to a forum you frequent? Or are you just kidding? Thanks!
  • Reply 59 of 64
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Sorry about being off topic...

Hey Solipsism, can you give me a link to a forum you frequent? Or are you just kidding? Thanks!

It would be a very circular link.
  • Reply 60 of 64
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    These few months he'll rack up a few more $$$ searching for lost iPhone 4th gen prototypes.