The Macless Head

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It just occurred to me the other day, that after years of hearing people complain that Apple was not making a middle of the lineup "XMac" or a "Headless Mac" it is now clear that Apple was instead spending those same years creating the "Macless Head," or the iPad.

I'm not sure if there is any significance to this (and forgive me if this is not an original thought) but I found it amusing.

It is said over and over that Apple does not make what we think we want, it makes what we are going to want. This seems the perfect example. They could have made an XMAC and I'm sure they would have sold plenty. But it would have been sucking wind from other existing Mac sales, to a large extent. Now, with the iPad, they have created a whole new category and there is little competition--from within their own lineup or from other companies.

It is hard not to admire a company that can do this consistantly!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    But they DO make a headless Mac also... And have for years (Mac Mini).

Granted, they treat it like a redheaded stepchild, with an 18 month upgrade cycle, but it does exist.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    And when the Mac Mini is updated again, I'm probably going to buy one as my media center. But first I'm going to be getting an iPad.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

But first I'm going to be getting an iPad.

No way! The iPad is a great concept and I'm sure I'll be using one daily, but not anytime soon: I'll wait for multitasking, resolution of the Flash problem, a twice as powerful CPU/GPU, at least 3 times more storage, and a battery with double its present endurance.

So I guess I'll probably get me an iPad mark III, in 2012.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Quote:

So I guess I'll probably get me an iPad mark III, in 2012.

Read carefully. Tonton said, "And when the Mac Mini is updated again...", which implies 2015 at the earliest. That is the same timeframe as your future iPad purchase.

/cheap joke at Apple's expense.