Urgent help needed on Mac Purchase

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I posted a thread a few days ago asking for advise as to what mac set up i should choose.

I have come to the conclusion that i wil lbe buying the basic 21" iMac model and an iPad when i can get them.

Upon reading more posts on this forum ive found myself in a tricky situation.

Will there be a new iMac coming out over the summer?

Im ready to go to the apple store tommorow and go buy my mac, however i dont really want to be buying it and then having it obscolete in 3 months.

What have poeple heared about new macs coming out?

Also as im buying the Basic version, will the new one be much different?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by glynnister View Post

Also as im buying the Basic version, will the new one be much different?

The base version should be the one to get the biggest update, which would be the graphic chip changing to the 320M, which is double the speed of the 9400M. Double the framerates in WoW for example. I don't expect the update until back-to-school time. The Mac Pro needs a refresh first, then the next iPhone arrives and then there should be a Mini, iMac and Macbook refresh.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    It won't be obsolete. I will do exactly the same thing it did as when you bought it.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The base version should be the one to get the biggest update, which would be the graphic chip changing to the 320M, which is double the speed of the 9400M. Double the framerates in WoW for example. I don't expect the update until back-to-school time. The Mac Pro needs a refresh first, then the next iPhone arrives and then there should be a Mini, iMac and Macbook refresh.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

It won't be obsolete. I will do exactly the same thing it did as when you bought it.

What i basically want to know is will this be more than adequate for what i need and be able to serve me well for around the next 2 years?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

What i basically want to know is will this be more than adequate for what i need and be able to serve me well for around the next 2 years?

I should certainly think so, unless you have plans to use it in some intensive manner which you have not mentioned.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

I should certainly think so, unless you have plans to use it in some intensive manner which you have not mentioned.

nope I intend to use it for general browing ect along with college work ect. So the 21.5" will be great?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

nope I intend to use it for general browing ect along with college work ect. So the 21.5" will be great?

Hey, it's better than the iMac I use for the very same thing -- so I don't see why not.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Hey, it's better than the iMac I use for the very same thing -- so I don't see why not.

Brilliant, thank you very much.

I'm not looking for anything too unneededly powerful I just want something that'll work and last.