Speech recognition software for the Mac / iPad / iPhone

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
About five years ago, before converting to Apple System OSX, I bought a copy of Dragon Naturally Speaking to run on Windows Xp. To cut a long story short, it never really worked properly as there were endless hardware and software conflicts that prevented any USB headset from working correctly with the Sony VAIO I had at the time. The worst of it was that the Program took too long to train and made too many mistakes even when it was supposedly 'trained'. I gave up on it.

Having converted to the Mac in 2007, I am delighted with everything about the platform so thought that now might be the moment to take the plunge and buy a new Speech Recognition program.

I've had a look at MacSpeech Dictate and while it seems okay, the reviews are mixed. i also read that new and cheap applications are now available for both the IPhone and iPad. MacSpeech was also recently acquired by Nuance - who makes the Dragon Speech recognition engine. i hear that they're working on a new version of MacSpeech, that is more reliable.

I would truly appreciate the knowledge and opinions of people on Appleinsider to help me find what i need. Many thanks in anticipation of some great responses.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

About five years ago, before converting to Apple System OSX, I bought a copy of Dragon Naturally Speaking to run on Windows Xp. To cut a long story short, it never really worked properly as there were endless hardware and software conflicts that prevented any USB headset from working correctly with the Sony VAIO I had at the time. The worst of it was that the Program took too long to train and made too many mistakes even when it was supposedly 'trained'. I gave up on it.

Having converted to the Mac in 2007, I am delighted with everything about the platform so thought that now might be the moment to take the plunge and buy a new Speech Recognition program.

I've had a look at MacSpeech Dictate and while it seems okay, the reviews are mixed. i also read that new and cheap applications are now available for both the IPhone and iPad. MacSpeech was also recently acquired by Nuance - who makes the Dragon Speech recognition engine. i hear that they're working on a new version of MacSpeech, that is more reliable.

I would truly appreciate the knowledge and opinions of people on Appleinsider to help me find what i need. Many thanks in anticipation of some great responses.

You can get Dragon for the iPhone and its free. Give it a try. I find that its ok, but not great.

On the Mac, MacSpeach Dictate is all that I'm aware of. Its supposedly similar to Dragon NS for windows. If you were dissatisfied with DNS, I'd wager that you'd be unhappy with MSD.

I considered getting MSD for my business, (I'm in healthcare). But the price is not cheap (MSD medical) and I noticed like you that reviews are generally tepid on the product. I gave it a pass.