Pissed off Drunk Dude Vs. Steve Jobs!!!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It must be an off day for AI cause this debate is toooo good to miss....





http://gawker.com/5539717/steve-jobs...edom-from-porn



my 2 cents: how can ANYONE tell someone how to run THEIR company. If you don't like what Steve Jobs is doing go somewhere else. That's what Apple fans did when Microsoft first became popular.



Business is not a Democracy.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 5
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 29,753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zuriel View Post


    It must be an off day for AI cause this debate is toooo good to miss....





    http://gawker.com/5539717/steve-jobs...edom-from-porn



    my 2 cents: how can ANYONE tell someone how to run THEIR company. If you don't like what Steve Jobs is doing go somewhere else. That's what Apple fans did when Microsoft first became popular.



    Business is not a Democracy.



    What's weird is that Steve even bothered to reply to this tool.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,177moderator
    It's interesting that he even bothers to reply to some of these emails given how busy he must be and how many emails he must get. He seems to have a very strong anti-porn stance. I suppose it's commendable but it's tiring how parents feel they have a right to police the world to protect their own kids.



    I love his quote at the end though:



    "By the way, what have you done that is so great? Do you create anything or just criticize others work and belittle their motivations?"



    It works both ways of course - he shouldn't expect consumers to all have made achievements of a similar magnitude in order to qualify as critics as it means wealthy people with loads of resources could do what they wanted without fear of criticism. On the flip side, individual opinions don't always have to match those of people in control of multi-billion dollar companies.



    People regularly put Jobs down as an asshole or as greedy, controlling, hypocritical and so on but he's been in this industry a long time and seen or been part of pretty much every major event in its history and his arguments are typically pretty sound and well reasoned. One thing I particularly like is a persistent rhetoric that clearly shows a pure agenda. I see this in Google staff too and even to an extent Adobe. It's a shame they have to maintain their respective business models and inevitably create conflict.



    It's funny because people on the outside get so worked up about these issues and the companies themselves most likely don't even care that much at all. A few arguments here and there are certainly not going to destroy 3 decades of progress. Time will continue on and whatever will be will be.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 29,753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    It's interesting that he even bothers to reply to some of these emails given how busy he must be and how many emails he must get. He seems to have a very strong anti-porn stance. I suppose it's commendable but it's tiring how parents feel they have a right to police the world to protect their own kids.



    I love his quote at the end though:



    "By the way, what have you done that is so great? Do you create anything or just criticize others work and belittle their motivations?"



    It works both ways of course - he shouldn't expect consumers to all have made achievements of a similar magnitude in order to qualify as critics as it means wealthy people with loads of resources could do what they wanted without fear of criticism. On the flip side, individual opinions don't always have to match those of people in control of multi-billion dollar companies.



    People regularly put Jobs down as an asshole or as greedy, controlling, hypocritical and so on but he's been in this industry a long time and seen or been part of pretty much every major event in its history and his arguments are typically pretty sound and well reasoned. One thing I particularly like is a persistent rhetoric that clearly shows a pure agenda. I see this in Google staff too and even to an extent Adobe. It's a shame they have to maintain their respective business models and inevitably create conflict.



    It's funny because people on the outside get so worked up about these issues and the companies themselves most likely don't even care that much at all. A few arguments here and there are certainly not going to destroy 3 decades of progress. Time will continue on and whatever will be will be.



    Any of us would probably find some point of disagreement or fault with even our closest friends, let alone a stranger who runs a multi-billion dollar company. On average, I find Apple to be closely aligned with my expectations of what a computer or consumer electronics product should be and do. And I happened to like them so much that I invested in their company when they weren't doing so hot.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    zurielzuriel Posts: 53member
    I was reading reactions in some other forums and it was truly mind blowing. People were talking about our rights as American citizens, Apple is a fascist company, or their complete hatred at Steve Jobs for not allowing porn in the app store....



    not realizing of course that they don't have to buy the product....I'm sure there are some in this site who probably feel the same way.



    We'll see...maybe AI will highlight this story tomorrow
  • Reply 5 of 5
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zuriel View Post


    ....I'm sure there are some in this site who probably feel the same way.



    You betcha!
Sign In or Register to comment.