Nike+ heart rate monitor for Apple iPod coming June 1

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
First revealed last year following the release of Apple's fifth-generation iPod nano, the Nike + iPod Compatible Heart Rate Monitor is finally set for a U.S. release of June 1.

The news comes from a "Nike+ Pro" on the shoemaker's official forums. While the person did not reveal why the hardware has taken so long to arrive, they did announce the U.S. release, which will be followed by other international releases this summer.

"It will officially launch (in the U.S.) on June 1, 2010, although it may reach some retail outlets slightly sooner," the Nike official, named Clover, wrote. "It will reach Canadian markets in June and will launch internationally in summer 2010, exact date to be determined."

The person said they were not able to reveal the product's price, color, or device compatibility. However, an update to the Nike + iPod user guide last September stated that only the fifth-generation iPod nano was compatible with the new heart rate monitor.

Last year, people familiar with the matter told AppleInsider that the accessory was initially expected to launch alongside the new iPod nano. However, it was delayed until June for unknown reasons.

Evidence of the heart rate monitor can be found in the Nike+ menu on an iPod. The "Heart Rate Monitor" selection is available under the Nike + iPod settings. There, users can wirelessly link the device to their iPod nano.

Released last year, the latest iPod nano has a built-in pedometer for fitness-minded users. The device's built-in accelerometer helps to keep track of steps and meet fitness goals, with options for daily goals or constant step counting. Users can also track their runs and performance through the Nike + iPod sport kit, which includes a wireless sensor to be placed in the insole of a runner's shoe.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    I've enjoyed my Nike+ for running on my 3Gs while listening to music or news shows.

Also been using stand alone Nike heart rate monitor to get my heart rate up to the optimum fat burning to max my workouts.

Hope the heart rate monitor will be available on the iPhone too.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    takeotakeo Posts: 445member
    While the latest Nano may be able to count steps like a pedometer, don't confuse the Nike unit with a pedometer. It's an accelerometer. It doesn't count steps. It measures the acceleration and deceleration of your foot along with the precise amount of time that your foot is airborne and in contact with the ground and uses all that information to determine accurate speed and distance. Pedometers are not accurate at all for distance. They have a massive margin of error. All they do is count steps and multiply by a fixed number. The Nike system on the other hand has a less than 1% margin of error when properly calibrated and the math it uses is quite a bit more complex.

I'm glad they have FINALLY added a heart rate monitor to the Nike + system. That's been the only thing stopping me from upgrading from my ancient Nike Triax Elite HRM/SDM system with it's absolutely horrid software (the Mac version is atrocious and has never been updated)
  • Reply 3 of 14
    t0mat0t0mat0 Posts: 58member
    Finally!

Let's hope that 3rd party apps will be able to work with this HRM, or at least allow other HRM onto the market/provide a way for Suunto/Polar etc HRM new or current, to work with iPod/iPhones.

This would then allow RunKeeper, Trails etc work -

This could affect runners, cyclists, rowers, all sorts - seeing as heart rate is a great way to measure general activity.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Finally! Does this mean that an OS update will be needed to use this device? Is it going to need iPhone OS v4.0? Today is an off-road KSO Trek FiveFingers day through trails in the park.

Pet peeve: I am quite disappointed with Nike for many reasons. First, their non-mobile site is all Flash. It's buggy and very slow to load due to all the Flash overhead. Second, they aren't capitalizing on Nike+ in a way that benefits the users and them.

For instance, they offer "coaching" for various goals but it's all manual. They have an opportunity to have it integrate with the device. The have a nice run/walk coaching routine for new runners but there is no way to load that routine into your iDevice and have it tell you when it's time to, for example, run for 60 seconds and then walk for 5 minutes. I'd easily pay $5 for one of these coaching routines.

Most of the other routines are more simple, they are mostly run days and rest days with specific distances, but they could have the info output to a calendar format that you could load locally with reminders. This is simple and they don't even include that.

I have more complex wishes for Nike+ but those are the most pressing ones due to their simplicity and overall usefulness.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    I use the Nike + system 3-4 times a week... Since 06/15/10 I have logged 673 Miles!!! I like the system a lot.... I just have a feeling that I am either going to need to upgrade my 4G Nano, or my iPhone to get the Heart rate monitor to work... ... I was going to upgrade the iPhone anyway this summer, but really, who wants to run with a phone on their arm?

EDIT: As mentioned above, Why do they use flash!?!?!?! They just redesigned the Nike + site in flash last fall, WHERE IS THE HTML 5?!??!
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Looks like Steve will have enough other stuff to talk about in WWDC a week later.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    GPS support, just do it.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    mistergsfmistergsf Posts: 241member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Finally! Does this mean that an OS update will be needed to use this device? Is it going to need iPhone OS v4.0? Today is an off-road KSO Trek FiveFingers day through trails in the park.

Pet peeve: I am quite disappointed with Nike for many reasons. First, their non-mobile site is all Flash. It's buggy and very slow to load due to all the Flash overhead. Second, they aren't capitalizing on Nike+ in a way that benefits the users and them.

For instance, they offer "coaching" for various goals but it's all manual. They have an opportunity to have it integrate with the device. The have a nice run/walk coaching routine for new runners but there is no way to load that routine into your iDevice and have it tell you when it's time to, for example, run for 60 seconds and then walk for 5 minutes. I'd easily pay $5 for one of these coaching routines.

Most of the other routines are more simple, they are mostly run days and rest days with specific distances, but they could have the info output to a calendar format that you could load locally with reminders. This is simple and they don't even include that.

I have more complex wishes for Nike+ but those are the most pressing ones due to their simplicity and overall usefulness.

TOTALLY agree with you on this. I hate their website; it's so slow and basically useless with what it does with your data. It falls way short of the possibilities of the whole Nike+ product. I wish there was a third party App or website that could work better and do more with managing your data.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    What happens if you have a heart attack while wearing a heart monitor device? You get a "FAIL" message?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What happens if you have a heart attack while wearing a heart monitor device? You get a "FAIL" message?

I know your kidding, but I have to think an intelligent monitor can't be too far off. Being able to note irregularities in your heart rate as signs of potential or impending issues. Eventually it could be smart enough to auto-dial an emergency number and relate your location and condition via an synthesized voice.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

I know your kidding, but I have to think an intelligent monitor can't be too far off. Being able to note irregularities in your heart rate as signs of potential or impending issues. Eventually it could be smart enough to auto-dial an emergency number and relate your location and condition via an synthesized voice.

With Apple's peripheral interest in medical devices attached to an iPod or iPad core, this is a very likely scenario.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

"Help! He's fallen and he can't get up!"
  • Reply 13 of 14
    oneof52oneof52 Posts: 113member
    Quote:

run for 60 seconds and then walk for 5 minutes. I'd easily pay $5 for one of these coaching routines.

I use this and love it.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ultra...343700506?mt=8

ULTRA TRAINER
  • Reply 14 of 14
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Well today is June 1st... where is it?