IMAC DVD ejects

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My IMAC which I purchased in December 2009 is ejecting the dvd when I insert the DVD into the drive.

Yes I have tried numerous DVDs and it does the same thing.

What is the problem?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimapp View Post

My IMAC which I purchased in December 2009 is ejecting the dvd when I insert the DVD into the drive.

Yes I have tried numerous DVDs and it does the same thing.

What is the problem?

DVD reading, usually the problem is.

Are these BlueRay or HD-DVDs? Can't read em. Don't bother. (try flipping it over, it might have a standard DVD side)

Are these Data DVD's? DVD+R? DVD-R? try a different brand, format, external drive, dirty disks?

Are these all standard movie DVD's, should read em, are they dirty? scratches? fingerprints? clean em.

Does the standard movie DVD's region code match wear you bought the computer? In other words did the movie DVD's come from the same country as the computer?

Are you running some sort of program that reads DVD's? Quit it and see if the Finder loads it.

Try another Mac at a Apple Store/friend, external drive or check on line if there is some sort of new copy protection scheme

Reboot the machine and see if that clears the problem, search the Apple Support forums to see if others have your same issue.

You might have a hardware, firmware or OS issue, or your region codes got screwed up
  • Reply 2 of 3
    stevegmustevegmu Posts: 539member
    Dead drive. OWC sells some great external drives.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Try starting normally and immediately running Disk Utility to eject the disc.It ejects clean, unscratched "empty" discs. It ejects music CD's. It ejects DVD's. No games or other software running, only internet.It doesn't eject software discs. No problem downloading programs. Only problem is with audio, video and blank discs.