Snow Leopard's Dock -> Tiger's Dock ?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I don't like the Dock, in Snow Leopard. It's too "Walt Disney" style to my taste. I don't like its false 3D line separator, and I hate the blue pills under open applications.

I would prefer to have Tiger's Dock appearance : a simple line as separator, black triangles for the open apps, and probably the flat 2D Dock too.

Is there a way to customise the Dock ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    I just found a nice freeware Dock customisation app : Docker

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/33516

Arrgh ! Its options are limited. I'm unable to get Tiger's Dock.

Any ideas ?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I've found a Terminal command to change the Dock to 2D :

1) Open Terminal (Applications => Utilities => Terminal.app)

2) Type the following code "press enter for each code once":

defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES

killall Dock

3) to reverse the Dock back to 3D just change "YES" to "NO"

However, this isn't enough for me. How can I change the Dock's transparency ? And what about the other rendering styles ? (color, no round corners, no line around the dock...). I hope there are some Terminal commands for this, without having to edit the Dock files located here :

/System/Library/Core Services/Dock -> contents/resources
  • Reply 3 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,219moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kali View Post

However, this isn't enough for me. How can I change the Dock's transparency ? And what about the other rendering styles ? (color, no round corners, no line around the dock...). I hope there are some Terminal commands for this, without having to edit the Dock files located here :

/System/Library/Core Services/Dock -> contents/resources

You have to edit the Dock image files for anything more than the 2D switch. Also note, while you can change transparency, the Dock will still capture clicks in that area. So, if you wanted to shrink it down, when it's in front of something, your click will still be captured by the Dock.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You have to edit the Dock image files for anything more than the 2D switch. Also note, while you can change transparency, the Dock will still capture clicks in that area. So, if you wanted to shrink it down, when it's in front of something, your click will still be captured by the Dock.

it is what I thought.