NFL Draft 2002

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Here's my little mock draft (this does not include trade possibilities).

1)Houston - David Carr - QB Fresno State

2)Carolina - Julius Peppers - DE North Carolina

3)Detroit - Joey Harrington - QB Oregon *

4)Buffalo - Bryant McKinnie - OT Miami $

5)San Diego - Mike Williams - OT Texas

6)Dallas - Quentin Jammer - CB Texas

7)Minnesota - Roy Williams - S Oklahoma **

8)Kansas City - Donte Stallworth - WR Tennessee

9)Jacksonville - Albert Haynesworth - DT Tennessee

10)Cincinnati - Phillip Buchanon - CB Miami ***

11)Indianapolis - Wendell Bryant - DL Wisconsin

12)Arizona - William Green - RB Boston College

13)New Orleans - Ashley Lelie - WR Hawaii

14)Tennessee - John Henderson - DL Tennessee****

15)NY Giants - Napoleon Harris - LB Northwestern

16)Cleveland - T.J. Duckett - RB Michigan State

17)Atlanta - Jabar Gaffney - WR Florida

18)Washington - Ryan Sims - DT North Carolina @

19)Denver - Jeremy Shockey - TE Miami

20)Seattle - Kalimba Edwards - DE South Carolina

21)Oakland - Lito Sheppard - CB Florida

22)NY Jets - Larry Triplett - DT Washington

24)Baltimore - Toniu Fonoti - OG Nebraska

25)Miami (from NO) - Levi Jones - OT Arizona State

26)Philadelphia - Andre Gurode - OG Colorado

27)San Francisco - Ed Reed - S Miami

28)Green Bay - Josh Reed - WR LSU (a big steal!)

29)Chicago - Anthony Weaver - DE Notre Dame

30)Pittsburgh - DeShaun Foster - RB UCLA

31)St. Louis - Marquise Walker - WR Michigan

32)New England - Andre Davis - WR Virginia Tech

* - Detroit will likely try and trade out of this pick, perhaps to Cincinnati who could really use Harrington.

$ - People are saying Mike Williams with this pick, but McKinnie is the best player in the draft. I think Buffalo will agree.

** - Williams, while excellent, is a safety after all and so it is unlikely that he will be a top 10 pick, historically speaking. I think he's worth it, even if he is a godforsaken Okla. Sooner.

*** - Buchanon will be the pick if they can't trade up for Harrington.

**** - Tennessee could use a whole new friggin' defense. Henderson might be the best defender left at this point.

@ - I will be shocked if Spurrier takes a defensive player for his first draft pick ever, but since Gaffney won't last until his pick most likely he'll have to do what's smart.

[edit]

Agree, disagree?

[ 03-24-2002: Message edited by: groverat ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    No football fans out there?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    A lady that lives in our town has a son who's the TE coach for Cleveland and one who's a scout for the Falcons and they had to flip a coin to see who gets to pick first.

As far as the draft it's just a really weak pool, IMO. I don't really see any absoulte can't miss prospects.

I'd take Harrington over Carr, though.

Jeff
  • Reply 3 of 9
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    Football sucks man.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I'd take Harrington over Carr as well.

There are a few can't miss prospects:

Bryant McKinnie & Quentin Jammer will be in the Pro Bowl very soon.

Mike Williams, Julius Peppers, Donte Stallworth, Napoleon Harris & Ashley Lelie are locks as solid contributors.

All the QBs this year are risky.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    I'm a Chargers fan, I don't suppose there's any way Peppers could fall that far?

Jeff
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I don't think the Steelers will take a running back. Bettis' health has been in question for a couple of seasons, but he is still agreat back, Amos Zereoue is the perfect complement/3rd down back to Bettis, Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala is terrific in a backup role as anopther big, bruising back (who can also be used as a fulback) and even R.J. Bowers played well in limited games last season (Bowers set the all-time NCAA rushing record at Grove City College in Western PA).

I think the Steelers are pretty set. They got a steal in the scond round in Kendrell Bell last season, who woul dprobably be a top 5 pick overall if they re-did that draft. If they lose Holmes, they may go after anotehr LB.

Also, I thought maybe a dark horse draft pick would be a kicker (like Oakland did with Janikowski) in the first round after losing Brown, but I see they signed Peterson from the Chiefs...
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I really don't think so, jeffyboy, but you guys are going to get an absolute beast of an offensive tackle in either McKinnie or Williams, so you're lucky.

You don't really need DE help, you've got Raylee Johnson coming back healthy and Marcellus Wiley is great.

If I were the Chargers GM I'd trade down and get Donte Stallworth and maybe a later pick, it looks like they could really use a playmaking wide receiver.

I'm hoping my Cowboys are able to get Jammer at #6, but Detroit might actually take him instead of Harrington. The Cowboys already have enough project quarterbacks, no Harrington needed.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Zereoue has got the "backup running back glow". Bettis is getting old (for his position and style) and will soon lose his worth, but I do see your point. I couldn't see them taking a WR with Plaxico Burress, Hines Ward, etc... though. I think DeShaun is the best option at this point for them, but I've been wrong before...

[quote]If they lose Holmes, they may go after anotehr LB.<hr></blockquote>

Napoleon Harris is the only LB I see worth a first round pick this year, unfortunately. But if they pull another Kendrell Bell out of their ass they might make me look stupid.

(football is the greatest sport on the planet)
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Small update:

Buffalo signed an OL in free agency. They'll take Harrington at #4 and Detroit will get Jammer at #3. The Cowboys will either trade down or get Buchanon or whoever is left out of Williams/McKinnie.

(I know you're all very interested )