Race and Politics...blech!!!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was watching Channel 8 news here in Portland, Oregon and they were running a special on the candidates for Governor here. Kevin Mannix was the Republican and Jim Hill was the Democrat. All very boring, but the one thing that really bothered me was a remark that Jim Hill made.

Now, let it be known up front that Jim Hill is black. So you can see where this may be heading already. One question he was asked was if he thought that being black had limited him in his political career. He answered yes, undoubtably. Then went on to say how being black was the only reason for many of the problems he had during his political career. Politics are bad enough without trying to play racial politics on the side to favor your hand. Now, I do not believe that being black has no effect on your status as there are many people who use that as one of the motives for not promoting people who deserve it and such, but look at his website and it seems to me that being of color has not prevented him from accomplishing many great things. <a href="http://www.jimhill2002.com"; target="_blank">http://www.jimhill2002.com</a>; He also appears to have had a rough childhood being from the south during segregation and the heyday of the KKK.

However, I will not vote for him. His interview really turned me off of him when he decided to play the race card and try to drum up support for him because he was the poor black candidate that did not stand a chance because of racism. That type of racist attitude is not what we need in leadership postions. Does anyone else agree with me? Any others who have seen similar tactics that turned you off to a candidate of color that decided to try to cash in on his/her minority status rather than sticking to the issues?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I think Blacks tend to dwell on the past injustices a little too much. It's hard for everyone. Limitations exist for everyone.

Not Rich enough.

Not Tall enough

Not lucky enough...

the beat goes on and on. I would say don't let one issue polarize your views though Noah. Vote for the Candidate who YOU believer will make your state a better place. That is the best that you can do for yourself and others.

[ 03-26-2002: Message edited by: hmurchison ]

[ 03-26-2002: Message edited by: hmurchison ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 8
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    I would never vote for anyone who makes their race or religion an issue. Latinos pull the same crap even though they have never been institutionally prejudiced against. At least no more than any other immigrant group. Yet they cling to Blacks like they have the same problems, or suffered as much in the past-ludicrous. Latinos piss me off more than blacks do because instead of grasping the opportunities presented to them in this country they just whine and bitch and ask for handouts. How about educating yourselves and working your asses off like every other immigrant group that came to this country?...........................
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Careful Steve. In 20 years Latinos will be the second largest Ethnic Group. I suggest you start learning Spanish right now. I happen to know plenty of hard working Latinos. I will not judge anyone nor do I believe in the mythical "Race Card". Never judge a person unless you've walked a mile in their shoes.

[quote]Originally posted by steve666:

<strong>I would never vote for anyone who makes their race or religion an issue. Latinos pull the same crap even though they have never been institutionally prejudiced against. At least no more than any other immigrant group. Yet they cling to Blacks like they have the same problems, or suffered as much in the past-ludicrous. Latinos piss me off more than blacks do because instead of grasping the opportunities presented to them in this country they just whine and bitch and ask for handouts. How about educating yourselves and working your asses off like every other immigrant group that came to this country?...........................</strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 4 of 8
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Sounds like he answered a question presented to him. Perhaps he was merely telling the truth.

There is certainly a Race Card, but I'm not sure it was played here.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>Sounds like he answered a question presented to him. Perhaps he was merely telling the truth.

There is certainly a Race Card, but I'm not sure it was played here.</strong><hr></blockquote>

How does one define a "Race Card"? Race only becomes an option if it is allowed to enter the equation. Racial problems could be eradicated by simply refusing to perpetuate the same mistakes over and over. Any member of the minority, whether they be of a different Race, Gender or Creed does have particular issues that must be confronted. It is foolish to think that minorities do not a tougher road to walk. If there is a Race Card then these individuals not only should acknowledge it but use it as effectively as they can. The same would go for the probable Gender Card or Gay Card.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    [quote]How does one define a "Race Card"?<hr></blockquote>

It's a trump card in debate. Using one's race as a tool to gain an upperhand in a battle that has nothing to do with race.

Example: Johnnie Cochrane's use of race to help get O.J. acquitted.

[quote]Race only becomes an option if it is allowed to enter the equation.<hr></blockquote>

Allowed by who?

[quote]It is foolish to think that minorities do not a tougher road to walk.<hr></blockquote>

This is bullshit. This uses the exact same generalizations that racists use, only in reverse. There are thousands and thousands of blacks out there who have had a much easier road to walk than I have.

[quote]If there is a Race Card then these individuals not only should acknowledge it but use it as effectively as they can.<hr></blockquote>

Here's the problem with that, if you whip out your big guns all the time then people are going to work to counter it.

Pretty soon you'll have people finally saying, "It doesn't matter that you're black."

Saying that now would cost you an election, and you know it.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    &gt;Careful Steve. In 20 years Latinos will be the second largest Ethnic Group. I suggest you start learning Spanish right now. I happen to know plenty of hard working Latinos. I will not judge anyone nor do I believe in the mythical "Race Card". Never judge a person unless you've walked a mile in their shoes. &lt;

If I move to mexico I'll learn to speak spanish-if someone moves here i expect them to learn english. I know many hard working latinos also, but i also know that they, as a group, have the lowest education levels and highest dropout rate of any ethnic group in the US. Hardly a recipe for success for this country if they are the largest immigrant group. Instead of latino 'leaders' protesting against perceived racism they should mobilize the latino community to stress the importance of getting an education and making sure their children stay in school. Learning english should be as much a priority for hispanics as it is for all other immigrant groups. The best way to do this is to declare English the official language of the US and make sure all voting pamphlets and govmnt forms are in English only. This waY ethnic groups can't live in their enclaves without having to speak any English. Its important for this country that all immigrants be as successful and productive as possible to help make way for the new arrivals. We need to grow the middle class in this country and the best way to do this is to ensure success for our immigrants by stressing education and assimilation...................................... ............
  • Reply 8 of 8
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>Sounds like he answered a question presented to him. Perhaps he was merely telling the truth.

There is certainly a Race Card, but I'm not sure it was played here.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Normally I would agree. But watching the interview there seemed to me to more than that to it. I do not think it is wise to place a man in charge of a state that feels he has an axe to grind racially speaking. I would fear the legislation he might try to pass in order to further his agenda. Now I realize that all candidates have an agenda, but that is one I would not want to see acted out. Personally, I could care less if he is black or latino or asian. If he gets the job done he has my vote. If he shows that he has underlying racist leanings, he loses big points, and I don't know that his ticket is strong enough in my book to warrant ignoring the remarks at this time.