Microsoft's Steve Ballmer rumored to present at Apple's WWDC 2010

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Steve Ballmer, the chief executive of Microsoft, could play a part in rival Apple's keynote presentation at the annual Worldwide Developers Conference, according to a new rumor.

As reported by Barron's, analyst Trip Chowdhry with Global Equities research said that a total of 7 minutes of Steve Jobs' June 7 keynote have been reserved for a presentation from Microsoft. The Redmond, Wash., software giant will reportedly be showing off Visual Studio 2010, the company's suite of development tools.

Chowdhry reportedly believes that the presentation could be given by Ballmer, Microsoft's CEO and fierce rival. If not, a possible second option for the allegedly planned presentation would be Bob Muglia, head of Microsoft's server and tools business.

According to Chowdhry, the new version of Visual Studio will allow developers to write native applications for Apple's iPhone OS, which includes the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. Developers will also allegedly be able to write software for the Mac OS X operating system with Visual Studio 2010.

An appearance by Ballmer would certainly be a surprise at WWDC -- an event that at least one analyst believes will be lacking in surprises due to a number of high-profile leaks that are believed to have shown off the hardware of Apple's next-generation iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 164
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Maybe Apple is buying some M$ stock to help them and he is showing up to say thanks
  • Reply 2 of 164
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Maybe Apple is buying some M$ stock to help them and he is showing up to say thanks

MSFT stock is remotely worth it only if I can reasonably speculate that they are going to split it up (i.e., take out the Windows and Office segments and spin them off as separate utilities.... er..... companies!).
  • Reply 3 of 164
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Now AAPL is valued higher than MS you have to write

"Maybe App£e is buying some MS stock to help them..."
  • Reply 4 of 164
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    O M G we're not going to see APPLESOFT!

What are they doing?

Maybe they're going to 'do' over Google together?

Or just maybe I had one or three many brews tonite chicknmjjjkiiiilgder
  • Reply 5 of 164
    applegreenapplegreen Posts: 421member
    Out with Google search. In with Bing?
  • Reply 6 of 164
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Would be funny if the title didn't have the word _at_ in it!

Cheers,

Phil
  • Reply 7 of 164
    kosicekosice Posts: 2member
    Well, after using iWork on iPad... if Steve Ballmer is here to show how great the Office Web works on mobile Safari and a pre release version of Office for iPad THEN it will be quite a big news to me!
  • Reply 8 of 164
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers!

How is MS going to sell Visual Studio 2010 to Mac developers when Apple give them Xcode for free? People buy bottled water, so maybe there's hope.
  • Reply 9 of 164
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to Chowdhry, the new version of Visual Studio will allow developers to write native applications for Apple's iPhone OS, which includes the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. Developers will also allegedly be able to write software for the Mac OS X operating system with Visual Studio 2010.

This would be a terribly short sighted deal for Apple. Apple should keep Microsoft as far away as possible. Only bad things happen when Microsoft gets close in, just look at Apples's history of close deals with Microsoft.
  • Reply 10 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

now aapl is valued higher than ms you have to write

"maybe app£e is buying some ms stock to help them..."

ok

I never used M$ as an insult to be honest just too lazy to type Microsoft and but app£e is no shorter - I should just use 
  • Reply 11 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Out with Google search. In with Bing?

That maybe the answer. Personally I far rather see SJ announce Apple's own iSearch.
  • Reply 12 of 164
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    This doesn't make any sense. Microsoft tools use a completely different runtime. Apple just made the no 3rd party runtimes rule. Apple has been putting a lot of work in to their development tools the last few years. Microsoft's tools wouldn't bring anything new. The only thing that makes any sense would be .net coming to the Mac as an alternative to Java (with some of the same user experience problems as Java), but I don't think that Apple would encourage this. Maybe it uses scripting bridge? I could see that I suppose. It's not going to run on the iPad/iPhone in that case though.

There is one notable thing here though. The reference implementation (without the user interface stuff) of .net from Microsoft Research does compile on the Mac. They targeted the Mac to prove that it was cross platform capable like Java. It wasn't heavily optimized for the Mac though.
  • Reply 13 of 164
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Now this could be amusing!

Get on that stage and dance for us monkey man.
  • Reply 14 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

This would be a terribly short sighted deal for Apple. Apple should keep Microsoft as far away as possible. Only bad things happen when Microsoft gets close in, just look at Apples's history of close deals with Microsoft.

I could not agree more! Hopefully this is just a rumor and not true.
  • Reply 15 of 164
    snaggssnaggs Posts: 1member
    Better the devil you know, even at the worst moment, Microsoft still kept developing for Apple. There is some history between the 2 companies. Microsoft desperately needs the mojo that Apple has, and Apple could kill the pig with Microsoft's domination of corporate IT.

Apple need a partner, and they need a big one.

Daniel.
  • Reply 15 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Steve Ballmer, the chief executive of Microsoft, could play a part in rival Apple's keynote presentation at the annual Worldwide Developers Conference

Okay, so now I am going to make flavored popcorn to watch the WWDC Keynote, extra special treat.
  • Reply 17 of 164
    This whole thing is a bad rumor. Apple isn't hurting for developers by a long shot, and right now all developers need to buy a Mac. As usual, garbage from an "analyst".
  • Reply 18 of 164
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Anyone willing to give me their WWDC ticket, I will get up and chant

"Monkey Dance, Monkey Dance!"

"We want the Monkey Dance!"

It will be a riot!
  • Reply 19 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

This doesn't make any sense. Apple just made the no 3rd party runtimes rule.

You sort of stole my thunder. I'm no Flash apologist, but didn't Apple just tell Adobe that their developers can't use Flash to create iPhone apps? And now you're going to let Microsquish developer in to the party? How can that be any better than Flash developers? Yes 50% of crashes come from Flash on a Mac, the other 50% come from M$...
  • Reply 20 of 164
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    I guess June 7 will be THE DAY HELL FINALLY FREEZES OVER...