Computers out from power surge

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've posted this elsewhere, but want to be more specific here.

Got home last night to discover everything with an internal hard drive wasn't working. Our BT Vision box is broken - happened before because of a power surge. Both iMac and Macbook refused to switch on. Eevntually I got the Macbook to power on by battery, but it then had to be charged again in the mains and was very slow. I plugged the iMac into a different socket on the surge adapter and that also switched on (eventually) and whilst in some respects it seems to work ok the screen redraw can be really slow, in a way I've not had before ie. scrolling in Safari white boxes appear where the screen isn't redrawing properly.

Should I (as I am) be worried that both systems may have sustained damage? And if so, how can I test them to see whether or not they are ok? And if things are slower or corrupted how can I demonstrate this to the insurance assessors?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Hire a assessor with electronic/tech knowledge that will give a detailed report of the damage for your insurance company. You also have to make a appointment with your insurance adjuster to come, so call them to make a claim.

Unless you have replacement insurance, likely the insurance adjuster will calculate depreciation into the mix, so don't be upset your going to get less than the cost of new equipment. Have your purchase history ready to dispute his/her obvious low balling that's going to occur. Get prices for used Mac equipment on line to match your current equipment and show the insurance adjuster that info. Or likely what might happen is you get evaluated/depreciated based upon "computer" or "PC" used prices. Which Mac's retain their value more than PC's. You have to show it will cost X amount to replace all your devices with matching used ones of make and model.

Also you might be able to approach the surge protector company that didn't protect your equipment, sometimes they guaranty to a certain dollar amount.